ohmygoodnessIhatebugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
For the past month I have been ordering very small nymphs for my baby to eat, and the very first time I opened the package I gagged. Eventually I got used to them though (I still don't like them, but I tolerate them). I decided that it would be much better fiscally for me to start my own colony. I got everything ready, ordered my bugs, and received them about 20 minutes ago. I opened the container, took one look at the GIANT adult bugs, and actually screamed. I probably should have figured that the adults would have been big, but I was not expecting this. If I didn't love my Hermes as much as I do.... I am seriously praying that I can get used to the adults, but I can't even touch the other two small containers because I'm afraid I will gag everywhere. I am not really sure why I'm posting this, but it must be said.

steph2one11

Hatchling Member
Thank you for this post, i have been in a bad mood all day and this made me giggle..... sorry to giggle at you :lol: .... but i love making my mom cringe cuz i have a colony and she hates bugs, but i dont mind them haha.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm glad I made you giggle, it's my goal to make at least one person laugh every day, I'm happy it was you. I guess I just have to get used to it. Oh the things we do for our beardies. I just found out I have a pretty big fear of bugs. Cool.

zenki

I've had mine for at least 2 years.

It was gross when I first opened mine too. You do get use to them after a while (you'll be touching them or being near them a lot), but what you could do for now is close your eyes and stick your hand in there. Lol. They will "massage" your hands. After that, the fear will be gone I assure you :)

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
zenki":2anbe4m3 said:

It was gross when I first opened mine too. You do get use to them after a while (you'll be touching them or being near them a lot), but what you could do for now is close your eyes and stick your hand in there. Lol. They will "massage" your hands. After that, the fear will be gone I assure you :)

Oh my gosh. I don't think I could ever stick my hand in there and let the adults crawl on me. I intercepted ones path with my toe to stop it from running away from the beardie and I have never screamed so loud or hard in my life. I can still precisely remember how it feels. Ick. Sends shivers down my body.

Babies are okay. They remind me or Rollie pollies but the medium ones to adults are disgusting :bleick:

zenki

ohsmileb":2c01xgi4 said:
zenki":2c01xgi4 said:

Oh my gosh. I don't think I could ever stick my hand in there and let the adults crawl on me. I intercepted ones path with my toe to stop it from running away from the beardie and I have never screamed so loud or hard in my life. I can still precisely remember how it feels. Ick. Sends shivers down my body.

Babies are okay. They remind me or Rollie pollies but the medium ones to adults are disgusting :bleick:

yes the adult male still do get me, females not so much. Females look like nymphs and you can hold them on the side and they can't get away. Males on the other hand have wings that get me whenever they flutter near me. One time, it fluttered away and i thought it went back in the bin. Two days later, my alarm goes off so i go to put it on snooze. Next thing i know one male fluttered on my face and i was so scared that i just slapped my face and killed it. lol I was in adrenaline mode washing my face for a good 30 min.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one that finds these things slightly terrifying. I will do anything for my little Hermes, even if it means keeping scary creepy bugs in my closet.

ohsmileb":2712tpqm said:
Babies are okay. They remind me or Rollie pollies
That is the only reason I could tolerate the little ones, because they weren't scary looking roaches.

zenki":2712tpqm said:
close your eyes and stick your hand in there
I wish I could say I am that brave, but I can't even hear them crawling around, (I had to put in ear plugs to empty the rest of the adults into the bin, and I was nauseous for about six hours) that's why I had to stick them in my closet. My hope is that if I see them a lot and I start to get used to them like I did with the babies that maybe.... just maybe..... I'll be strong enough to eventually empty the bin to clean it and separate my feeders. But until that day, they are banished to the back corner of my closet and I will interact with them only to give them food and water until Christmas break when I actually have time to breathe.

zenki

Do you mind posting a pic of your roach bin? I like to see how creative people get when it comes to heatjng their bin.

Toria88

Aaaack. :bleick: You sound just like me!! This is the reason that I have not looked into ordering dubias. We don't have any kind of roaches where I'm from, and I want to keep it that way! Good Laawwwd. I couldn't handle it. I already have enough of a problem with crickets. Dubia colony? Noooooo way.

zenki":3gyjpqjw said:
close your eyes and stick your hand in there. Lol. They will "massage" your hands.
I died after I read that. Noooooooo thank you!

I can assure you that they feel gross and sticking your hand in the bin will not help. The babies feel like rolly pollies but the big ones give me the creeps. Did I mention my husband is useless and will not come near them.

A male got out and I thought I was going to pass out having to catch and put it back. I did it because I saw $$$ getting away.

The sound they make at night is horrible, I told my husband we have to re locate them to a closet asap.

zenki

Crochetetc":pci2zsto said:
I can assure you that they feel gross and sticking your hand in the bin will not help. The babies feel like rolly pollies but the big ones give me the creeps. Did I mention my husband is useless and will not come near them.

A male got out and I thought I was going to pass out having to catch and put it back. I did it because I saw $$$ getting away.

The sound they make at night is horrible, I told my husband we have to re locate them to a closet asap.

I use to have them in my room and before I sleep I would put in new food. Indeed the sound bothered me at first, but after a while, it was like white noise. I dont even want to start on the smell...

I moved them to the garage because my room the next morning is filled with ants because of them. Almost everyday for a couple months (ant season) I would have to reclean the bin. Moving them in the garage abled me to build a moat so no ants can get through.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Well we brought our first Beardie home last night...(introductions and pics coming soon)

I've been working on getting a colony of Dubia's started and was planning on having the colony
fully running before we brought a little one home....well we saw him yesterday and that plan just
flew out the window.

So, all along my wife has been saying that she wasn't going to have anything to do with the Dubia's,
not even helping to feed the dragon with them. She's let me keep them in the basement, but doesn't
even want me to talk about them.

Well, about 10 minutes into feeding him last night [and he just went nuts for the Dubia's], she's
picking out nymphs from the bin and "goo-goo'ing" all over him as he chases them down :mrgreen:

She still doesn't want to see/hear/know about the adults, but I think I'll be able to break her of that too eventually.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Crochetetc":1evx09iq said:
Did I mention my husband is useless and will not come near them.

Lol!

zenki":1evx09iq said:
Do you mind posting a pic of your roach bin? I like to see how creative people get when it comes to heatjng their bin.
I don't even heat mine. My house never goes below 70 and I figured I would test out the theory that they need head to produce, well, I haven't heated them in 2+ months and it looks like I have well over 300 babies (I started with the dubideli adults only 50 female and like 10 male) :blob5: :blob8:

My wife refused to go near them at first. I started to call them bugs instead of roaches and that helped her get over the initial creepiness factor. Sticking your hand in the bin isn't going to help, and could make things worse in my opinion. I don't like things crawling on me and my first instinct is to swat, but since these things are literally $$ i had to get over that reflex quick. I pulled one out with the use of a small plastic cup and carefully shaking the one loose. I put it on my hand on my terms and let it crawl only so far before either shaking it back into the bin or recapturing it with the cup. Best advice is to get used to one on your terms only. My wife on the other hand will never get used to them and I bought her one of these and she is able to feed her pet when I am at work.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2943523

I have always wondered if anyone else has ever used one of these to capture feeders from a bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom