Oh no :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKrysis

My baby bearded dragon that I rescued has been doing fine. He ate crickets today by himself and was alert. However when I just checked on him he was unresponsive so I picked him up and noticed he was unusually warm and his toes were twitching. I laid him down and he put his forearms to his side and began wiggling like a snake. It's midnight so no vet is open.
What is going on? I'm panicking! :'(

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
Okay then this is mbd. Well right now there is nothing you can really do that I am aware of. The survival rate and if it will kill him I am not sure of. This is defintely not good. There should be others that know how to deal with this. Just know whatever happens is not your fault if u have him on uvb and the other owner didn't. All you can do now is wait for others responses or just go to bed and see wht happens in the morning. I am so sorry for you and your beardie!

~Haley

TheKrysis

Original Poster
He has a leg that is snapped in half that I apply antibiotics to twice a day as well. I just force fed him baby food squash and some water and put him in my lap with the light shining on him. He's more awake and alert and is breathing normally now. Was this just an episode or is he dying?

TheKrysis

Original Poster

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He has a leg that is broken in half? Wow I am so sorry.
Which UVB are you using on him?
Do you have any pictures of him? Use photobucket.com to post pictures on here, it is easy.
It sounds like he had a seizure which is caused by severe hypocalcemia. He does need to see a vet if you can manage that & get a calcium injection along with some liquid calcium to take for a while.

Tracie

TheKrysis

Original Poster
The vet I took him to last week didn't seem to know what he's talking about. I'm going to try a different vet but I really can't afford it :( I don't know what his UV is since it was given to me but I'm going to get him another one today to make sure it's fresh for him. I have been mixing calcium powder in with his squash baby food. I'm pretty sure he is too small for an injection but I'll look for another vet and ask about liquid powder. :( will he die? And if he lives will he live a good life or is this irreversible?

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Make sure you get him a Repti Sun 10.0 or Arcaida D3+ 12% UVB tube light many of the others are no good and have bad reviews so it is best to get one of those.

You can buy liquid calcium without going to the vet, you can get one specially for MBD here http://www.bug-de-lite.com it's called calci-blast.

alcolton

Hatchling Member
I had something similar happen to my little one last week. I was able to get her to a vet asap and they gave me calcium supplement to give to her every morning through a plastic syringe (without the needle of course) orally. The amount I give her is .02 everyday. I would ask a vet if they could prescribe this. It is a boost of calcium that will help. This happened to Evie on Saturday afternoon and she is already almost back to her normal self. I'm sorry to hear that she broke her leg, they said at the vet to only take Evie out to give her the calcium. Also try to give her baby food to eat because anything they have to chew they could choke on with this problem of not having enough UVB and calcium. I hope this helps a little bit! Good luck!!

TheKrysis

Original Poster
Awe I'm glad Evie is ok :) I haven't named mine, I can't find a name that fits him. I bought the Calci-Blast from the link suggested to me, so I'll start him on it as soon as it comes in. Right now he is basking under the UV light and is alert :)
I usually take him out to walk around in my screened patio so he can get some sun (I'm terrified of a bird swooping in and eating him lol) but I guess I'll leave him in his cage for a week or so. Thanks everyone :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is so sad about his leg, it is definitely broken.
I did see that you ordered the liquid calcium. There is a dosing chart in the package for you.
It was sent out for you today.
The Reptiglo 10 is not the best light, no, as it does not have the greatest spectrum to help with
D3 synthesis. If possible, try to purchase the Reptisun 10 tube bulb online at www.petmountain.com
when you can. Make sure you have mounted the Reptiglo 10 tube bulb directly beside your basking
light & that it is a bright white light, to help protect his eyes.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom