Odor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
Lizz's lights go on at 4:45 am. I get up at 5:30 and fed him his supers immediately. While he digests for awhile, I get in the shower. When I get out of the shower, he goes in the tub for a swim/poop while I do hair and makeup. Once he does it, we wash it down the drain - how does he know to always do it right by the drain??? Always. Amazing! - sometimes we refill the tub so he can swim longer and then he goes in his viv,(and I throw some Clorox in the tub just for good measure), and I put the salad in his viv and leave.

Honestly, once you get them on a schedule, they are easy-peasy to take care of. He potty trained so much easier than my dog! You WANT them on a schedule because beardie poop DOES stink! But once you learn to manage it, you have it made. Congratulations on your new baby!

lstrike

Original Poster
Hurraaahhhhh! Just hand fed a diced bellpepper piece and 3 crickets! Tried to feed him a 4th but he moved away. Is that good? Don't want to spoil him but same time want him to eat. Also I think the crickets they gave me maybe to large. Is the space between the eyes the length the cricket should be or the width?

This first feeding was 24 hours in. Also tried feeding in seperate container but think it was to much for him. Is it to soon to be pulling him out into a new container with crickets? We were pretty stoked to see him eat!

lstrike

Original Poster
IMG_20110522_230039-1.jpg

IMG_20110522_213438.jpg

finnie

Wow, nice viv set up! I see how he'd love that! And he is really cute! You may need the small crickets. I've had problems with our store giving us ones too big. Imagine the cricket sitting sideways between the eyes of the dragon. I think there is a picture on google of this- it gives you a good perspective. :mrgreen:

lstrike

Original Poster
Yeah I knew I should have gotten the small ones. Women tried to convince me they have been feeding him the large which she says are about medium. They looked way to big to me. He seemed almost intimidated by them. I would say they are 3 times larger then the small ones they had.

Thanks! I was looking to get input on what you all thought of the viv. First one I've set up since the shoe boxes when I was a kid. Lol...it is really funny to watch him jump two times his length to get to the plants.

Seems like while I observe him he is also studying me. I haven't been able to pull myself from the viv for the last two days. My oldest daughter is crazy about Geronimo also. She held him today and was loving life.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
You will want to get a digital thermometer with a probe.. those stick on thermometers don't work and don't record accurate temps..

Here is a link to what you need:
http://www.beardeddragon.co/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_47&product_id=79

It's by Zilla, so I'm sure they will have it at any pet store near you.. I also have 2 babies!!

Butters from Rio Reptiles:
butters3.jpg

And lil guy (from Petco)
DSC03809.jpg

lil guy is actually a bday present for my daughters best friend.. So he's only here for another 2 weeks.. :cry:

finnie

Just wait till you get a harness so you can take him outside into the real UVB world. Mine actually sat with me while I was gardening yesterday, and he gobbled down 2 earth worms before I could freak out enough to stop him. I've read on here that he'll live - they won't kill him. Love this site!

lstrike

Original Poster
Wow those are tiny! I originally looked at the smallest one in the store but decided against it and went for the bigger guy figured it would be easier for newbies like us. Yeah I looked at that probe but was unsure. I will go back tomorrow to get it. Should I still get one for each side of the viv?

I am registering around 80 on the cool side around 102 on the basking side. Thing is I have a 150 bulb figured it would be hotter and I may need to dial it down with the adjustment on the light but from the gauge reading doesn't seem to be the case.

lstrike

Original Poster
finnie":14c73ilx said:
Just wait till you get a harness so you can take him outside into the real UVB world. Mine actually sat with me while I was gardening yesterday, and he gobbled down 2 earth worms before I could freak out enough to stop him. I've read on here that he'll live - they won't kill him. Love this site!

Lol that sounds awesome. Was looking at your pets nice mini farm! :D we have 1 yorkie, one English bulldog, one cockatoo, one blue fronted parrot and a severe macaw. Also have 3 goldfish and one tiny water frog. Oh and 3 kids all girls. Oldest is 9, middle is 5 next week and youngest just turned 3. Oh and my wife...lol. its a real madhouse.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
lstrike":t1spzjw5 said:
Wow those are tiny! I originally looked at the smallest one in the store but decided against it and went for the bigger guy figured it would be easier for newbies like us. Yeah I looked at that probe but was unsure. I will go back tomorrow to get it. Should I still get one for each side of the viv?

I am registering around 80 on the cool side around 102 on the basking side. Thing is I have a 150 bulb figured it would be hotter and I may need to dial it down with the adjustment on the light but from the gauge reading doesn't seem to be the case.

You can get one for each side.. the probe should be right at the basking spot.. those thermometers on the glass aren't going to correctly give you the temps and can be way off.. with a 150 watt bulb, I would image the basking spot is pretty warm. I have just a 60 watt halogen flood light and that gets the basking spot at 107 and that's 18" away from the light. Just want to make sure you don't get him too hot :p

lstrike

Original Poster
No doubt! I appreciate the advice! I was hoping to get advice on the setup as it is our first and we want to make sure Geronimo is healthy and happy in there.

**Edit - just added some more pics of Geronimo in the Photo's board have a look! http://tinyurl.com/3qmrrcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom