Odor Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwoltn

I never had a problem until about a year ago with my beardie smelling up my room. i tried to figure out what was going on, but couldn't... so I just dealt with it.

I'm starting to get tired of it now and need some suggestions. I clean his cage every 2 weeks with bleach/water and spot clean daily. his substrate is 50/50 top soil and playsand.

I have tried air fresheners (away from the tank), ive kept my window open for two days straight to see if I could air it out, ive put homemade odor absorbers in my room. and nothing is working :(
any help is appreciated :D

any help is appreciated :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
Ditch the sand and try some slate tile. Even a tiny little bit of wetness left behind in the sand can grow nasty bacteria, thats what you are smelling. I've smelled the same thing in literally every tank I've been around that had some kind of loose substrate.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
yes, I second that. Slate tiles are really nice too. It makes the tank look pretty, and more clean and organized.

Qwoltn

Original Poster
He was on paper towel up until about 1-2 weeks ago. I thought the loose substrate would absorb the smell better.

I'll try the slate, but I doubt that's the problem. It was smelling before the sand/topsoil. Do you guys know of any products I can use to help? I put dryer sheets around mu room, and it actually helps for a few days. Absorbs the smell and lets off a fresh scent. :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
If it was happening before the sand, then thats not the problem. Have you had him checked for parasites? They can cause excessively smelly poo.
I spot clean daily and there is no smell in the cage. I use nolvasan to deep clean.

Qwoltn

Original Poster
Gail":1bxypy48 said:
If it was happening before the sand, then thats not the problem. Have you had him checked for parasites? They can cause excessively smelly poo.
I spot clean daily and there is no smell in the cage. I use nolvasan to deep clean.

I had him in kind of a quarantine for awhile. That's why I had paper towel. Parasites arn't the problem. His poo doesn't really smell too bad.

I don't know how to explain the smell, it's kind of wierd. It has to be the lizard though because I completely cleaned my entire room to make sure. I even scrubbed the walls lol.

Hopefully I can figure this out. Again, parasites arn't the problem.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Notice any smell on him at all? What is the cage made of? I think I know the scent you speak of but it shouldn't be so bad you can smell it all the time.

Qwoltn

Original Poster
Gail":2idy84o6 said:
Notice any smell on him at all? What is the cage made of? I think I know the scent you speak of but it shouldn't be so bad you can smell it all the time.

Glass tank, and I don't smell anything on him but i guess a wash couldn't hurt.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'm completely puzzled at this point. I would try a bath using a soft toothbrush and some tear free baby shampoo. Maybe you are just sensitive to their scent.
Have you tried any of those fabreeze plug ins?

Qwoltn

Original Poster
Gail":co1a8y6u said:
I'm completely puzzled at this point. I would try a bath using a soft toothbrush and some tear free baby shampoo. Maybe you are just sensitive to their scent.
Have you tried any of those fabreeze plug ins?

It makes sense that Inwould be sensitive because i'm the only one in the family that can smell it. I'll try washing him tommorrow morning. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom