Odd Spot on Beardie's Head - Fungus? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago we noticed a weird spot on our girl's head. We didn't think anything of it, maybe she was just starting a shed, you know? But now it's pretty obvious that it's not a shed. I'm really worried that something horrible is wrong. We've been using all the right heat sources and feeding them appropriately.
sept272010413.jpg

It's above her right eye.
She also just laid eggs (unfertilized, of course), in case that matters. She's lost a good amount of weight, but we thought it was because of getting out the eggs. And she was running around the other day and ate a piece of dog food. We have given her a bath, and gently scrubbed it with a tooth brush, and it won't come off.

...Help?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
You're right, that doesn't look like normal coloring or a shed. I'm not sure what it could be but I'm bumping this up so maybe someone that might know will be able to see it.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Sorry to hear your girl is not doing too well. That spot does look like yellow fungus. This is something you can treat yourself at home.
What you will need is some Betadine, Witch Hazel and some anti-fungal cream, such as Lamisil or Monistat.
First, dilute some Betadine in a small dish with some water. You want it to be a light brown like the color of weak tea. Then take a cotton ball and dab some of the solution on the affected area a few times. Next take the witch hazel and also dilute with water, dab that on the area with a cotton ball as well. Finally, put the anti-fungal cream on the area. You will need to do this a few times a day and it should clear it up. Do not allow any of these solutions/cream to get in your beardies eye or mouth. Keep up with the treatment until it is completely gone. Fungal infections can take a while to go away.
If it starts to look worse or spreads, you may need to take her to a vet for an oral medication.
You mentioned your beardie just layed eggs. She does look a bit thin. Is she eating much? Have you given her extra calcium?
What are the temps in her enclosure?
What type thermometer are you using?
Do you mist her in her enclosure?
Has she been on any meds lately?

ProjectParanoia

Original Poster
We use the Sunglo 75 watt bulb
It stays around 85-90 in their cage
She eats EVERYTHING. She's not afraid to chow down
I'm not exactly sure what the thermometer is
We don't mist, but they do get baths

And I'm really scared that I'm going to get it in her eye. It's REALLY close.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
You could use a cotton ball and dab it on the spot. I have thankfully never had to deal with this but I was just thinking of options. Give it a try because if you let it go without treatment it will spread, this is from what I've read about it.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
You could also use a Q-tip if that would be easier. Maybe be careful not to saturate the Q-tip, then it won't drip in her eye.
Your temps are a bit low. It would help to know the thermometer you are using, in case you are getting incorrect temps.
Is the thermometer a digital w/wire & probe, stick-on type or temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking the temps?
The basking side should range between 95-110 and the coolside between 78-82 degrees.
You mentioned "their" cage.. are you housing two beardies together? The reason I ask is that any type of fungal infection is contagious. If you have two beardies together, the other one is at risk of getting it as well. You may want to separate them(if you have two together).

ProjectParanoia

Original Poster
It's a stick-on, around the middle of the cage.
You're right, she and her sister share a little "suite."
The problem with separating them is that we can't really afford to get another setup right now (my father's work just decided they had too many workers and had to let him go).
We did start treatment (and she loved the extra attention - they act as if we never give them any), but what do we do about the girls' housing situation?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
The stick-on thermometers are unfortunately not very accurate. They can be off as much as -20/+20 degrees. You need to try and get either a digital thermometer w/probe or a temp gun. Walmart and Lowes carry a great little digital thermometer w/long wire and probe called AcuRite. It runs around $12. It looks like this...
Acurite.jpg

The temps are extremely important for the health and well being of a beardie. You need to be able to get accurate temps on both the basking spot and the coolside.
How big is your enclosure? Could you possibly put a divider(cardboard/wood) down the center and separate the beardies? I would hate to see your other beardie contract the fungal problem as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom