Odd behavior for my usually sweet and piggish dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Hi all,
Our dragon Slick is about 6mo. old. We got him when he was 4 weeks and 4" long. He's now a tad over 20". He has always been very sweet. Loved to be held. Normally eats collard and mustard greens with an occasional fruit treat once every couple weeks. Typically eats about 50 or so crickets 2x's a day. With an afternoon treat of super worms or calci worms. Suffice to say he's always been a great eater. His temps are 80 on the cool side, 93 currently on the warm side with a current basking temp of 104. Has a reptisun 10.0 tube inside his tank. It's 4 and 1/2 mo. old.
Yesterday I noticed when I put his AM crickets in, that he ate a few, then climbed back up to bask. Usually he's an eating machine and will hunt until they are gone. I put his greens in with a watermelon treat and left for work. I figured he wasn't warm enough and would eat more later. As I have never seen a cricket get out alive! When I came home, it looked like someone had broken in and ransacked his cage! His greens and watermelon were thrown all over the cage! His faux alligator skull that he climbs on and in was flipped over. He pooped in a pile of greens. There was even calcium powder on the glass of the tank. (I always dump his dusted crickets into a bowl. And the leftover calcium collects in the bowl then I dump it the next feeding). When I came in and saw it, my hands were cold, as I had just been outside. Not thinking of that I opened his cage and reached in to grab him (and ask what he had done to his house!) and he black bearded and hissed at me! He has NEVER done that! I picked his little butt up and sat him on my shirt and he was fine. But he never ate any more of the crickets from his AM feeding.
So, I cleaned up his cage. Have him fresh greens but no other live food. He slept on his cage floor which he has done before, but doesn't do often. This morning, I put in fresh greens (no fruit). Cleaned up some poop. Then put in more crickets. I had to pull him off his basking spot when I put them in. He ate 2 then climbed up to bask again. I took him back out, gave him a bath ( he pooped a tiny amount in there) and put him back in his cage. He was down on the floor ( in the cage) so I thought he was going to eat and I left the room. I came back and he was just running around the cage. Literally. And bumping his nose onto the sides of the cage. He's never done that. So, I got him out. Let him run around a bit. Let him look out the window. And, he still won't eat.
Am I missing something? Is he just being a weirdo and I shouldn't worry? It's just that he is normally a HUGE pig. He sometimes stands on the floor of the cage with his mouth open when I shake his crickets in hopes I will just drop them in his mouth!
Thanks for any input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom