Not wanting to stress out new beardie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbr292

So I am very excited to be welcoming home Oscar, a 7 year old bearded dragon I "adopted" from a friends son. Not only is Oscar in a new home, but a lot about his enclosure has changed. He was on sand, now he is on tile. He came with a compact coil UVB, but it was in its package so I'm not sure if they used it. Now I have a tube reptisun 10 set up and an extra light on his cool side (basking light by his rock and hide out) I also have a wood perch for him to climb. I think he might be a little dehydrated, he has never had a bath and his last owner mentioned he is probaby due for a mist. When he first got here I was able to hold him and he seemed fine. When I started setting up his tank he was in the box he came in. He puffed up and his beard turned black, he opened his mouth and followed me with his head when he saw me. I figured he was probably nervous and stressed. Here I am a strange huge thing making noise and walking around him. I got him all set up and he would puff up and black beard every time I came close to the tank. I just tried to move slowly and talk softly and give him space. He seems pretty calm and content now. He is in his hide with his head poking out. I put a small salad down for him, I didn't think he would eat but was delighted to see him take a couple nibbles. But I movd forward in my chair a bit to look and he popped his head up and stayed still.
I am wondering how long I should wait to start really trying to handle him. I have read that sometimes babies need a good week or two to get used to their new home and owners. But he is an adult. I'd like to soak him in the tub soon but I don't want to stress him out. I am not even sure I could get close enough to mist him right now. I want to do the best I can to have a trusting bond with Oscar, but I know that takes time and I don't want to force myself on him. But I also don't want him to dehydrate in the meantime! Here's a picture, I don't have the best camera, but I happen to think he is a damn handsome dragon!
85276-5777604566.jpg

UPDATE: so I googled "stress marks" and looked through some images. Oscar just happened to come out of his hide and it looks like his chest is covered in them :/ is there anything I can do for him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think he'll be fine and will calm down in time. Give him a few days to adjust to his new home. Keep your hands around the cage to freshen food and clean etc. Maybe try hand feeding him bits of salad and see if he'll take it. Once he's used to you being around and stops acting defensive you could try holding him. If he's OK with handling then you could try the bath but I wouldn't do that until he's OK being handled. Not worth the extra stress in my opinion. Be patient and take baby steps with him and I'm sure he'll become comfortable around you after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom