*not urgent* nail clipping question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve read that I should clip Atticus’ nails because his toes could get deformed. He is a pet store beardie so he is on the small side of 5 months old. He’s only 9” long but growing fast eating dubias and greens! At what age/size should I begin to clip his nails? I don’t want to infringe on his ability to climb, or hang on to things.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually only clipped or filed nail tips if they started to cut me while I was handling my dragon. They do help with climbing so if they aren't in the way or causing a problem I leave them alone. It helps to use ceramic tile or have a stone basking are to help keep them in check a little bit. Otherwise you can file them a bit with an emery board or use clippers to nip the very fine tip of the nail off as needed.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed, they don't need clipped often, but when I feel them scratching me that's when I clip them. As Cooper said, if you buy some of the stick-on floor tiles that are textured and have the look and feel of slate or stone, and you put them down on the bottom of your enclosure/tank, this really does seem to wear their nails down and keep them from becoming sharp or too long often.

Clipping them is very easy, but keep in mind that they have a vein inside each of their individual toenails, along with a nerve, just like dogs do, so you only want to clip the tiny portion of each nail that you see sticking out over the cuticle or the "pulp" of the nail. If you look at his nails from the side angle, you'll see a tiny little bit of nail that sticks out beyond the "pulp" of the nail, which is the white part that runs along the underside of each nail down to the toe. You only want to clip off the tip of each nail that you see sticking out beyond that "pulp". I find it much easier to just go through and clip the tip of each nail off rather than filing them, but that's going to very from dragon to dragon and person to person. My guys just won't sit still long enough for me to file each nail, lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah along those lines they do get squirmy so it's best to trim nails in the evening when they're a bit sleepier. I still plan on only one hand/foot at a time then let them get wiggles out and try another one. It takes some patience :lol:

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":2u8lo34q said:
Yeah along those lines they do get squirmy so it's best to trim nails in the evening when they're a bit sleepier. I still plan on only one hand/foot at a time then let them get wiggles out and try another one. It takes some patience :lol:

Yes it does...they really don't tend to wiggle while you're doing it, luckily, but as soon as you stop, look out! :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom