Not sure where to start.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trishcpht

.......... issue # 1 We need a better lighting arrangement or we are going to be forced to get rid of E, not our decision, we both still live with parents and his are making him get rid of him if not. Yesterday one of his Moms cats knocked his heat lamp off the top of the tank and into some clothes and started a fire. I feel this is completely wrong but his father is determined, his Mom is working on him but now they are trying to tell us that E doesn't need a UV lamp, Basking lamp and a heat lamp. I know what we've been advised and although we neither one want to have to give E up we don't want him to be unhealthy either.
Issue #2- What advice do you have for during the summer for absorbing the heat given off by the tank, that is their other complaint.
Thanks for any advice.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
How big is your tank? If its at least a 40 gallon you can get a MVB bulb that emits UVB and heat at the same time. You will still need another light for the other side but at least it will make it so you have 2 fixtures instead of 3. The MVB bulbs are expensive though and you will need a deep dome fixture or the end of the bulb will stick out and you cant set it on the top of the cage. If you can get a way to suspend it above the cage then that would work. I have a T-Rex mercury vapor bulb on one side and a 40 watt household bulb on the other.

Is there any way you can move your beardie into a room where the cats cant go? or into your room and keep the door shut? You probably wont want to run a air conditioner in the same room as the beardie if its a small room but if its a big room it may not matter. (may bet too cold for beardie) Make sure you have a digital thermometer with a probe to monitor the temps. If your beardie's tank dosnt get too cold with the air conditioner then you will be fine.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/t-rex-100-watt-flood-active-uv-heat-bulb/

SJM

Hatchling Member
There isn't much I can add to what Elora said. Keep doors closed, don't let any other animals in, especially cats because they like to knock things over and climb on everything. Either way, the UV lights are definitely necessary for E, and under no circumstance should he live without the correct lighting.

You could get clamp lamps to hold the bulb, which hook onto the rim of the tank and then hang over it. They'd be harder to knock down and you'd be able to position them whatever distance from the tank that you please. I know they sell them at PetSmart and you could probably find them on their website or another place on the internet.

Hope everything works out!
- SJ

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
have you thought about keeping the bedroom door shut and getting the MVB bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom