Not sure what's wrong, help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Basically, a few days ago my beardie seemed to be a little on the lethargic side. He sometimes does this every now and then but snaps straight out of it when he's being fed or when I take him out of his tank. Anyway, yesterday I was going to feed him I noticed his behaviour was strange, his head was down low sitting on the tank floor and didn't react much when I showed him his yellow tweezors (usually goes bezerk or really alert when he sees this). I showed him his food and out of nowhere he missed the worm completely, he tried again and the same thing but his head kind of swooped off to one side. I went to pick him up to take him out and his head was extremely weak as if his neck could not support it. He then seemed to lose balance quite abit and sway to the side. It was something I'd never seen before or even heard.

Today it's the same story. He's eating but I have to hold the food right in front of his mouth so that he doesn't miss it when he tries to 'bite' it. When he has the food in his mouth he then smashes his head side-to-side which is disturbing to watch because it's not his normal behaviour at all. I've had to remove everything from his tank that could hurt him when he goes into this 'frenzy'. I've tried to give him water via a syringe through the side of his mouth. He has also 'pooped' today which is always good. He looks really healthy and when I pick him up he's still feels as 'solid' as he has always been, just seems extremely fatigued. His head movement is really upsetting to watch as it seems to just sway around as if his neck has lost complete power or something :(

Does anyone know what could be wrong with him or what I could do to help him?

Thank you.

Extras:

df1XpQ9.jpg

45ftfmC.jpg

6rEZkMd.jpg

His arm is fine it's just tucked under him slightly :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....I'm so sorry that your beardie is having this problem. :( What is his diet like ? Sometimes lack of certain nutrients [ B vitamiins ] can cause neurological problems, but I think it's possibly more serious than that. There are toxins + viruses that can produce neuro problems....notably the atadenovirus. You might see if you can find a very experienced vet, one that can tell you that they DO see bearded dragons + can do some blood work and test for adeno. I hope that he will be O.K. and that this is of a less serious nature.

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
It sounds neurological this could be caused by vitamin deficiencies, MBD, or a plethora of other things. I'd see a vet they can help you a lot better than we can. AHBD is right too watch out for atedinovirus.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
If he was mine, I'd give him a nice bath. Sometimes that will perk them up. Stay right next to him, since he is having trouble holding up his head. Have you tried offering water with a plastic syringe or dropper? I agree with the previous posters about possible causes. The bath won't fix things, but it might make him feel a bit better.

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
I would like to point out that there are videos on YouTube of beardies with MBD trying to eat as well as videos of tremors (I would put a link but they make me feel sad) you should watch them and compare.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble.
Can you please run over your tank setup with us, such as your type/brand of UVB light & the age of it, the supplementation & temperatures for us to help us try & pinpoint any issues.
It definitely sounds like a problem with nutrition that is causing neurological issues or metabolic bone issues.
If he is having trouble eating, you can try handfeeding or syringe feeding chicken or turkey baby food with squash or sweet potato baby food to help out.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

oatmeal

Hey! I'm so sorry about your beardie :( What is he eating? What kind of lighting do you have and are temps within range? Is he on any supplements?
Thiamine deficiency, MBD, constipation, all these things can lead to issues similar to what you're describing. Knowing a few more details might help :) Giving him a bath like suggested would be a good idea, and get back to us with more info. Poor little guy!

NeilMcGrane

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies guys :)

His vivarium is the exact same as this one (not mine)

p6ab0sK.jpg

It has the top casing with 4 coil bulbs that are:
x2 Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 UVB 26W
x2 Exo Terra Repti Glo 2.0 UVB 26W

With a 50W heat lamp in the same ceramic holder that you can see in the picture above. I've read around and saw that the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB is the best but I can't seem to find a coil version of it as I don't believe a tube would work in my tank casing.

I was using this supplement up until yesterday
uHLheYT.jpg

Then today I bought this
d0pLvkE.jpg

I've tried to give him water via syringe through the side of his mouth as I don't want to force his mouth open completely. Most of it had ran onto the underside of his head so I don't even know if he's taking the water.

Today he has only eaten 2 morio worms (I can't give him anything that moves faster because he will just miss it). Both were dusted in the new supplement. He also won't accept any type of veggies or fruits right now :(

I'll try to give him a bath later. Also, is there a way to give a beardie the calcium supplement via syringe or best to just give it with his food?

If it is a deficiency in something, how long until I will see him recover/get better? I'm going to visit a vet during the week to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Thanks again everyone for your help, and his name is Pablo :D

Ofthelime

Hatchling Member
I haven't used the Exo Tera calcium nor do I know of anyone who uses it, however Exo Tera is a good well known manufacturer.
When it comes to vitamin deficiencies, it would depend on the severity.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Just wanted to say those coil bulbs are bad. Turn them off they do more harm then good. They don't give off the proper amount of uvb. They cause appetite, eye and lethargy problems.

NeilMcGrane

Original Poster
Would these work if I replaced them with my current bulbs?

Lp14Og6.jpg

Or should I replace the canopy with the tube fitting canopy and use the tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom