not sure what's going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne

Hi group.... Topper, my female 5 year old beardie, hasn't been acting like herself...The past 2 weeks I've noticed the skin on her body has been getting slightly looser than normal...Her appetite is so-so...she normally eats twice a day - 2-4 large superworms with maybe a few bites of a mixture of collard, turnip, and mustard greens. I dust her meal with Flucker's calcium. I also spray water on her snout for her to drink, but for the past week or so, she hasn't any interest until today.

Today, in particular, I noticed her coloring had gotten "dark" all over her body and she just acted like she wasn't feeling well....and laid on her cork bark tunnel all day - very little movement on the cool end of her enclosure. The temp ranges around 80 degrees F and the warmer side is around 105 degrees F.

I'm wondering about her lighting - if I'm doing this right. Her previous owner had her from 1 year up until I got her in Jan. 2015 - she was 4 1/2 years old then. He had built her enclosure - it's length is 40 inches by width of 24 inches and height is 22 inches. It's all wood with plenty of ventilation with plastic sliding doors that have 3 vent circles on each door about 3/4 of the way to the top. The top of the enclosure has 4 ventilation holes that are covered with wire mesh. The holes for the 3 different lights are also wire mesh with a "dip" in the mesh to hold the domed light covers. I replaced her bulbs with everything similar with what the previous owner used - one is a flood heat lamp - on the warm side of the enclosure 250 watts; the other is an All Living Things UVB coil bulb on the cool side - not sure of the wattage, and a coil basking light in the middle - again, not sure of the wattage - I'm at home and she's at school - (class pet). But I can find out the info when I get back to work in the morning. I don't think she is getting the UVB she needs. Is it a good idea to get a tube UBV light and find a way to hang it from inside the enclosure or would that harm her? and is there anything out there in a UVB bulb that could reach the depth of 22 inches? Any advise would be appreciated.

I have noticed she may be in the early stages of starting to shed - some of her scales are starting to lift and separate - but slowly - and I don't bother them. I do give her a bath twice a week to help ease the discomfort - should I be doing more?

She did have a movement two days ago, and her schedule to have a movement is usually every 4-7 days...The past two movements have had the white first, but then some red, followed by the brown...Is that normal?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I don't want to lose her and want to help her....

Thanks in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If her beard is dark she may not be feeling well. Otherwise she may just be trying to pick up some more heat/light. Your temps sound good but I wouldn't use coil UVB lights in a tank that big because of their narrow distribution and limited range. For one that size I'd mount a T5 UVB light on the ceiling on the basking side of the tank. I'd pick one that runs about half the length of the tank so the 22/24'' should do nicely. A T5 will have an optimal output at 12-14'' so I'd build the basking area to come up to about 12'' of the UVB light. There should be enough space in there for a fixture if it's a 22'' tall tank.

Suzanne

Original Poster
I will try it - what would you recommend for the light fixture - I've seen some that have a hood - would that work better? and also, would I still need to have the basking light and the flood heat light as well?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Basking light and flood heat light should be the same thing. A flood bulb that produces heat and bright white light. That's needed in addition to the UVB light. I'd get rid of the two coil bulbs. Here are some very good options for fixtures/bulbs:

This fixture http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ
With this bulb http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-10-0-Lamp/dp/B00AQU8HAO/

Or this combo set http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Suzanne

Original Poster
Thank you for your help! I've ordered a zoo med 5t 24 inch light fixture with a 22 inch UVB tube...I should get it on Friday (I hope)... When I get it, should I place the fixture in the middle of the enclosure or near the back to best help her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would mount the UVB fixture on the basking side of the tank so the most intense UVB is combined with the bright light and heat from the basking bulb to more closely imitate natural sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleyna
Top Bottom