Not sure if sick or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little D

Hatchling Member
My beardie has made some changes as of late and I'm not sure if these are signs of a possible problem or not.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my beardie has been eating 1, sometimes 2 dishes of greens, on top of 10 to 15 cricks a day. About 2 weeks ago, he suddenly stopped eating his greens as much and now, almost completely. About a week ago, I switched him from cricks to my Dubai Roaches and he goes nuts for these things, so much that he won't eat cricks now. Other things that are poping up are, his calcium. He always got it on his cricks or greens. Since he's not eating greens and switched to roaches, the calcium part is difficult. I try to dust the roaches but then the little bugger won't eat them because now they're white instead of the normal dark color.

Couple more things that might come into play. He doesn't go up on his log or the ramp (which is where his greens are), which bring him close to the UVB bulb. His pooping has also changed. He used to poop every day, but now, after a day, or day and a half, I have to put him in the tub where he poops every time.

He's about 8 or 9 months old now. The tank is always at 110- 120 degrees on the basking side and 82 - 85 on the cool side. I'm using a Resptisun 10 for the UVB. His appetite as far as the roaches goes seems good because I think he would keep eating them as long as I would let him.

Is this normal behaviour or is something possibly popping up with him? Appreciate any suggestions or advice!!

lmalterna

LittleD,
Is your dragon's skin tone darker than normal? I ask this as I am have nearly identical issues with my 7 mo male. He eats and defecates but not as aggressively as he did in November/early December. Eats greens & supers, crix and roaches(dusted with Rep-Cal). Basks less than he did before and frequently beards/gapes when I reach for him(front opening cage) but stops once I pick him up.
Also under Repti-sun 10.0 10 hours per day, hot spot at 112-115/ cool side at 80F. Not tragically worried as long as he is eating/pooping and gaining weight but anxious to hear any advice?

Bill

Little D

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Bill

yes, mine has times when darker which I enquired about before. It sounds to me like yours is reaching puberty which is what I was told about mine. However, the symptoms I described above are now different circumstances than before

Little D

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay, just to update, when I went home for lunch from work, I tried giving him roaches with calcium on them but he would NOT touch them. As soon as I offered one without the calcium, he gobbled them right up.

Could I feed the roaches the calcium with their food and have the same effect with my BD getting enough calcium?

lmalterna

LittleD,
Thank you for your response- that seems to be the consensus.

When I fed my snakes pinkies I dipped the rear half in vits- this way the front half still smelled and tasted like a pinky. By the time they got to the vits, they just kept swallowing. This might be worth trying on your roaches. They are still half black and should catch his eye. Also- insects tend to clean their feet/legs quite alot so letting them walk around in calcium dust for a bit should cause them to ingest a good amount of dust. I hope this helps or someone else can help soon.

Thanks,
Bill

Little D

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else have any suggestions regarding the into in my first post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom