Not sure if he might be sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randtm

Hi everyone,

We have a male bearded about 4 years old now. He has been very healthy after a bout with coccidia his first year. He's never had any other problems the past three years. He normally brumates from about Sept. - January every year. He did the same as usual this year and has been his usual self until about the past 2 weeks. Once he's done brumating, he normally poops every day to every other day until near Sept. once again, then he'll go weeks between. The past two weeks, he hadn't pooped at all, which is unusual for this time of year. He still appeared normal, but had seemed to have a couple of more lethargic days in this time, where he laid on the bottom of his viv away from his UV light, instead of perched up on his big rock under the light like he spends most days. Well today, he finally pooped this morning and it was extremely liquidy. Now I just noticed after starting to write this post that he has gone again. Slightly less liquidy and a huge amount. Both times he's gone, it looked normal in color and pardon the TMI, is smelled normal. We know from experience the smell will chase you out of the house when they have coccidia.

There has been no change in anything with his viv or diet except for that we are now getting the new disease resistant cricket strain from Ghann's as opposed to the old strain, but that's been a few months now. He normally eats crickets every other day and he is an excellent greens eater, which he gets everyday, normally turnip or mustard greens, with occasional squash or carrots thrown in. He has been consuming normal quantities. He's shown no sign of being off his food.

Perhaps he just got backed up a bit and didn't need to go for a while, but I thought I'd post and see if this strikes anyone as a possible concern.

Thanks.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
Maybe he got a little dehydrated, which plugged him up, and had to catch up on his liquids before he could go. I have to be really cautious that this doesn't happen to Richard, and give him 3 or 4 baths a week whether he seems to need them or not. When he gets even remotely dehydrated he droops, gets away from his basking spot, and won't eat. Since your beardie's poo was liquidy, you might give him a nice long bath the next two or three days just so the fluid loss won't cause him any problems.

randtm

Original Poster
Just thought I'd post an update. He has seemed fine since. About a week after all this, he started shedding, so I think that is probably what it was all about. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom