Not sure if dragons are trying to mate or fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaxon

I have 2 beardies, one male one female. The male goes very black in his beard and on his tail and he also bobs his head very fast at her when ever he sees her. When he is in his tank and I have her on the couch, he will bob his head, go black, and sometimes start attacking the glass. About a month ago, my sister and I had them both out, but tried to keep them within distance from each other and made sure they couldn't see each other. Well, he saw her somehow anyway. He started to do his thing on a jumper on my bed, ejaculated and what I believe was his hemi pene, was out and everything. He was trying to mate with my jumper... She was on the other end of the bed while he was doing this, so I think if he wanted to fight her, he had an easy way to get to her, so I think he wanted to mate. Because he would of gone to her since he had the chance, but he didn't. When they look at each other, he does the head bobbing and goes black, and she bobs her head slowly, and tries to get closer to him. She used to wave her arm, but she doesn't anymore. I know it seems cruel to make them not able to get to each other, but it's the only way I can get a reaction from them to find out what they want. I will be able to sell the babies. We also tried sitting them down on the floor to see what happened, and he did the bobbing, then tried to run over to her very fast. We picked her up before he got to her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Zaxon....I think I remember your post before, was it in the E.R. after the male had an accident ? Anyway, if you are thinking of breeding them [ that is what the male wants ] I'd like to direct your attention to the thread at the top of the page called " thinking about breeding ? ' It will tell you [ and I can tell you ] that it'a a LOT of work to raise + feed babies. Beardies lay alot of eggs. Babies need 1,000's of crickets every week, they will need enclosures, usually plastic tubs, to be raised in with all proper lights. You will spend a ton of money, especially on food and by the time you can sell them you may actually lose money. Not only that but some babies will start to bite the other's toes and they will lose value very quickly.....and there are sooooo many people breeding them that you may have a very hard time selling or placing them. My advice is not to breed them, and keep them out of sight of each other.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I totally agree with everything that AHBD said. I have to say that I agree with you that it seems cruel to put him through that. Not sure what you meant by
I know it seems cruel to make them not able to get to each other, but it's the only way I can get a reaction from them to find out what they want
He wants to mate with her, that is obvious. BUT, aren't they only 7 & 9 months old? That is WAY too young for them to breed and for you to even consider it at this point. They're both just babies themselves and won't be fully grown until about 2 years old.

Please read the article that AHBD mentioned and keep them apart as well as out of sight of each other as that is very stressful & unhealthy for both of them to be teased like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom