Not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBoylan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think I should've left it for at least another half an hour when I was taking the temperature >.< I'll just get a 75 and 100 watt :) I guess I'll just let Povi sleep and make sure to keep him hydrated.

AlexBoylan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It really looks like he is just brumating. The reason he probably didn't find a safe place to hide when I put him on the floor, is probably because he already ran around my room since he arrived here. He knows that my room is safe regardless. The vet is full today, so we booked an appointment for Wednesday, but I'll cancel if Povi is doing fine (which looks like he is). I'll give him a bath every week, and feed him as well.

Unless anyone else has anything to say regarding the post, shall we lock it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Alex,

We have already mentioned many times that it's not brumation. You will just have to trust our knowledge on the subject.

I have yet to see you confirm or deny if you're still going to take him to the vet. I strongly believe that you should. It can't hurt.

I would be giving baths more than just once a week. If he is in fact dehydrated, you should give him a bath every day for awhile and then cut it back to a few times a week.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardies that young don't brumate.
They also do not sleep with their mouths open.

The picture you showed was of a dragon in distress, not a dragon brumating.

Are you taking him to the vet?

-Brandon

AlexBoylan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I looked through the caresheet on this site, as well as several other websites. It says that beardies under the age of 1 year can brumate, but it's just not common.

Look a few posts back, after I gave Povi a bath and gave him water, his mouth is now closed, and his eyes are no longer sunken (provided 3 pictures as well). We concluded that the wattage of the bulb was too high, and someone recommended that I use a 100 watt bulb instead of 150.

Like I said, if I see anything unusual with Povi, I'll proceed to take him to the vet on Wednesday. If he acts normal, then I will simply cancel the appointment.

But, if you don't believe me, look here: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/?page=3

It says:
As far as how Beardies in captivity brumate, every Beardie is different. Its very rare for a Beardie that is under a year old to brumate, unless they were born extremely early in the year and are rapidly approaching a year old when cold weather sets in, however it is possible.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I am very well aquainted with that article, I have read it loads of times and recommend it to many people over the years.

You seem to miss the most important part in the sentence you yourself quoted:

unless they were born extremely early in the year and are rapidly approaching a year old

At 4 to 7 months of age, your dragon is not rapidly approaching a year old, its rapidly approaching being 4 months away from being a year old.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would not say thats close by any stretch. at 4-7 months of age, your dragon is barely half way there.

There is no point arguing with you, you've had some very experienced members on here (two more experienced than me) agreeing saying its not brumation.

You just have to understand that we have more experience with this, and we know the signs to look for.
You wouldn't go to a car mechanic with a problem when you've only been around cars for 5 months and argue with him over what hes saying is wrong with your car, so it only makes sense that you don't do it with this.

We are here to help you. We are not in this for money, we don't get paid commission to tell you to take your dragon to a vet. We only want what is best for your dragon. The second you realize that is the second that you will start trusting our advice.

There is nothing more I can say though besides, I hope you take him to a vet.

-Brandon

AlexBoylan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also, in the last post, "My1stBD" said that he or she should be tested for parasites first. Like I said earlier as well, I'll test him for parasites, but he hasn't been pooping lately, so it's fairly hard to do. He's actually probably not pooping due to brumation (as specified here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139371).

AlexBoylan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, to prove he is brumating. I took a picture of him sleeping; he has been in this position for 2 days: http://imgur.com/myunU. And no, he's not dead, he's still breathing. When I moved him to the blankets, he even gave me an evil glare for messing with his sleep.

The black beard? I read through the caresheet again, and found this little gem:
They will get increasingly inactive and lethargic, and will refuse to bask under their lights, even when you place them on their basking spot. In fact, if you keep putting them there, you will no doubt be on the receiving end of one of their famous beardie glares and an extremely black beard!

So while I was at soccer practice, I put my probe on the bottom of the tank, and got 113Fº when I came back. Therefore, Povi having a black beard, and being dehydrated was my fault, resulting to his mouth being open at all times, and possibly his eyes sinking. He is now being kept under a few blankets for the remains of his brumation, and I will continue to bathe him, give him filtered water, and feed him once a week.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
okay is your dragon 4 months or 7 months? Either way it is highly UNLIKELy that he is brumating. Parasites can keep them lethargic as well. I hope you still take him to the vet

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So what are your actual basking SURFACE temperatures now that your floor is saying 113? Please don't lie to us about it.

Your dragon is very likely SEVERELY dehydrated if hes to the point where he was so hot in his tank that hes not even moving anymore.

I am extremely shocked you didn't take him to the vet and instead decided to nit-pick at that article to find stuff to further encourage you that he is brumating, while ignoring the other parts that would say he is not.

Did you at least lower the wattage on your bulb? If so what are the temps of the basking SURFACE, the hot side, and the cool side? Please, leave the probe end in each spot for half an hour and be honest about it.

-Brandon

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
This image is simply disturbing...
euztl.jpg

I am sorry he is like this however, I feel this thread has gotten off topic. Lets please straighten this out. This picture is not one of a brumating dragon, period. This image shows signs of illness or pain.
So I did catch his temperatures are reading better, continue to bathe. Bathe everyday for at least 10 minutes. This is the equivalent to a person in the hospital on a fluids IV.

Let's also go back to another subject, feeders. You said "cockroaches" can you please verify if you are feeding actual cockroaches or feeder roaches such as dubia or turkistans. Which calcium dust are you using and at what frequency? What else has been fed? (greens, fruits other feeders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekov
Top Bottom