not gained weight in 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
I bought a female bearded dragon from a breeder 2 months ago and the day she got here i weighed her and she was 41 grams and 2 months later she is only 44 grams and i feed her twice a day and dust with calcium once a day. I don't know what i could be doing wrong. And yes i have proper temperatures and a 24 inch t5 10.0 uvb

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How old was she when you got her? A month or so?

What does her daily diet look like? Types of feeders and quantities?

Can you post a picture of her and your setup for us?

The reptisun t5 is a good bulb, but it's strong so you need to make sure it's a proper distance. How close is it to the basking surface? And is it ontop of the mesh or inside the tank?

How are her activity levels?

-Brandon

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3bui4rvs said:
Hi there,

How old was she when you got her? A month or so?

What does her daily diet look like? Types of feeders and quantities?

Can you post a picture of her and your setup for us?

The reptisun t5 is a good bulb, but it's strong so you need to make sure it's a proper distance. How close is it to the basking surface? And is it ontop of the mesh or inside the tank?

How are her activity levels?

-Brandon
i got her when she was 11 weeks old. i feed her about 10-15 medium crickets a day and hornworms occasionally its probably 10 inches from her basking spot on top of the mesh screen. she is very active

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification :)

Ok the UV is a proper distance so that's good.

How big are the crickets in comparison to her? Smaller than the space between her eyes?
She's eating a decent amount, it could be more though. Is that as much as she wants to eat or are you limiting her to 10-15?

Great that she is active too, that is a good sign she isn't sick or anything.

Some dragons just grow slower than others. And other times they grow in spurts as opposed to linear progression. As long as she is eating healthy, and acting healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned. Especially since your setup sounds fine.

But if she is able to eat more, she should start to grow a bit more too.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ Brandon feed her as many as she will eat---- dont limit them and make sure she is able to eat them --- you cant feed something bigger than she is --- she needs to be fed vegies as well here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would offer her vegies in the morning --- add some small super worms on top like 1-3 to entice her to bowl - maybe get some BSFL as well and add them in there too - about an hr or so later feed her crickets --- or dubia roaches -- I put my roaches in a bowl about 12 or so at a time and mine will sometimes eat all them at one sitting or he will come back and finish them off - I offer again in the afternoon - sometimes he will eat more and sometimes he wont --- depends on how full he is after breakfast and how many he eats --
Karrie

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":16jfcd9y said:
Thanks for the clarification :)

Ok the UV is a proper distance so that's good.

How big are the crickets in comparison to her? Smaller than the space between her eyes?
She's eating a decent amount, it could be more though. Is that as much as she wants to eat or are you limiting her to 10-15?

Great that she is active too, that is a good sign she isn't sick or anything.

Some dragons just grow slower than others. And other times they grow in spurts as opposed to linear progression. As long as she is eating healthy, and acting healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned. Especially since your setup sounds fine.

But if she is able to eat more, she should start to grow a bit more too.

-Brandon
the crickets are not bigger than the space between her eyes. If i notice that she ate the crickets fast i add more until she is done but she normally tops out at 10-15 crickets. i have 2 other beardies and they are fully grown and they grew crazy fast so this is kind of weird to me

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is weird shes not growing--- you dont have her housed w/ the others do you?
Karrie

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3issfg2k said:
That is weird shes not growing--- you dont have her housed w/ the others do you?
Karrie
No I don't. Its not like she is skinny she has a bit of a stomach shes just not gaining any weight

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure why that is-- others on here would need to weigh in on cause
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I defer back to my previous statement, they all grow at different rates. And as long as she is healthy, her size doesn't matter at all! :)

Curiously, how are her poos? Runny and loose? Or pretty well formed?

-Brandon

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
I can’t offer any insight, but my nieces dragon is the same way. We got our dragons at about the same time. Mine is growing like a weed, but hers has stayed about the same size as when she got her, maybe a bit bigger but not much. I’ve made sure her enclosure is up to par and she eats plenty and is active, just hasn’t grown much. I’m wondering if females grow slower than males? I don’t know if there’s any truth to that or not.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":6ffnllr0 said:
I defer back to my previous statement, they all grow at different rates. And as long as she is healthy, her size doesn't matter at all! :)

Curiously, how are her poos? Runny and loose? Or pretty well formed?

-Brandon
They are pretty well formed. She normally poops once a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom