Not eating/trying to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cken27

I have taken Nefarian to the vet twice already, the first time the vet said he had coccidia. Now that one is gone, he has a larvae from some other parasite now. I forget what the name of it is I'll have to look on the plastic bag she gave me. Basically she wants 2 doses of the medication done and see another fecal in 6 months. So I'm thinking it can't be all as serious as maybe other ones. I have to give him his second dose in 2 weeks.

Now onto what's going on, I usually have basking temps around 105-115 he's 9 months old now, all of this eating and basking came to a halt earlier last year like it started in early December. I switched terrariums around that time too, to a 40 gallon. The uvb tube I use which is a Reptisun 10.0 is about 15-18 inches from him. It sits on top of the terrarium screen, I had it kind of in the middle of the whole enclosure and not at the basking site. His cool side is 81-83 and his cave to sleep is there. The dragon seems lethargic and unwilling to move around but at the vet and places he's trying to climb up the wall that has plastic on it ?

So his diet, he refuses to eat black solider fly larvae/Dubai roaches/the crafted bearded dragon food from flukers that has crickets ground up into soft pellets/ crickets (he will eat a few on occasion but I have to put them inside of his enclosure or he won't even touch them in the feeding container. As for the feeding container I'm using a long rubber maid sterilite container from Target. The only thing he will eat is sometimes crickets but only 4 a day or super worms. I hate feeding him supers because he constantly gets impacted,so I'm trying to feed green's. He's not taking that either though.

So my question is what is going on ? When I ask the vet she says it's a combination of the coccidia from last time, and the parasite he has now+ the weather and anything else except ask me questions about my husbandary. Does anyone here that's super experienced with reptiles have an input on what I can do to get his appetite back?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet prescribe panacur? Possibly pinworm eggs? What kind of UVB light do you have? That's pretty far away for most lights. If you have a T5 it should sit about 12'' above the basking area for best results.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
How big is the dragon? Your temps sound good...what is the light cycle?
Could be brumation related.

What about his water intake? Is he getting regular soakings/chances to drink? Sometimes if they are a bit dehydrated it can affect the appetite. I know that anti parasite meds can cause dehydration, perhaps that could be one factor. Try whenever he is soaking dribbling water on his nose, so he can lap it up. Regular bathing can also help with the impaction problem that he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom