Not eating. Parasites? UPDATED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganAlyse

Hatchling Member
Please help.
I know he's not a bearded dragon, but this is the only place I knew I could go for free, immediate help.
Vishnu is a male pygmy chameleon that I ordered from LLLReptile. He's been in his 20 gallon terrarium with two females since Wednesday, 1/6/10, and as far as I can tell, hasn't eaten. I've even killed crickets and put them under his nose, and while the girls, Kali Ma and Sita, gobble up any cricket they can reach, dead or alive, Vishnu won't even look twice at it. He is fat, but I have reason to believe this is water weight - he drinks a lot of water, even drinking it from the small waterfall I have in there for him, which I have been told is uncommon.... He spends most of his time in one spot, but this is not so unusual for pygmies. When I hold him up to the light he's translucent, and there is no evidence he has eaten anything. In fact, when held up to the light, there's no evidence of anything inside him, except I saw something wiggling... That may have been his skin changing colors, but I don't want to dismiss the possibility it may be a parasite.
Could it still be relocation stress?
I don't know where he came from, but I know he's not captive bred. The people at LLLReptile told me he's probably either WC or farm bred, whatever that means.
Please help.
He's a sweet boy, and I don't want him to die....

0110101651-00.jpg

Me trying to get him to eat a freshly killed cricket.

0111101746-01.jpg

Taken a few minutes ago.

0111101750-00.jpg

Taken a few minutes ago.

20100111175228.jpg

His terrarium, before he and the girls arrived. Substrate: a mix of coconut husk and unfertilized top soil, topped with Fluker's forest moss. (substrate not present at time of photography)

Please help.
-Megan

MeganAlyse

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here's a video of him moving, and photos of him held up to the light.

This isn't slow... it's about normal speed for a pygmy chameleon.

The two circles to the left may be worms, and appear to move. The lower right one may be impaction...

IMG_9238-1.jpg

IMG_9239-1.jpg

IMG_9241-1.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

He's fat, but I think it's water weight, based on what he looks like in front of a light.

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
Sorry i can't help at all but just wanted to say hope he gets better soon. Also its amazing how they can camoflage themselves! It took me quite a while to find him in most of those pics!!

reddragon1

Hatchling Member
i dont know a thing about chameleons, but from what i kno about dragons maybe you should cage your chameleon by itself. i kno with dragons you should only keep one in a tank. as far as parasites go, when dragons have them their poop smells really really bad. have you tried calling some vets to your chameleon in? maybe a fecal would help. just keep that in mind.. hopefully someone one here will give you some helpful advice! good luck

MeganAlyse

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for your responses.
I'm trying to breed him, actually, with no success. He shows no interest in the two females, probably because he's sick...
But pygmies are usually fine housed together, granted only one male.
He's active, but no apparant improvement in the way of eating.

-Megan

MeganAlyse

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's eating, but he's still obscenely fat.
Turns out he's not an R. brevicaudatus, like I ordered, but he's a Rh. temporalis.
Damn it.

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Go to http://www.yahoogroups.com

type: (the animal type)

Search the chameleon groups that appear. Look for one that has a moderator and requires membership. These two things help to cut down on spam. :D

You can visit a groups' home page before joing. You can view the messages that are posted. See if they are spam-like, serious messages, info, etc. If you like the group, join. They are all free. You can also email the owner, etc., to inquire. Also, check out http://www.reptileforums.com . I hope this helps.

Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom