Not eating or pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok something else is going on - it's normal for them not to poop for days or longer if you take her to the vet DO NOT let them do an enema - please read the topic at the top of the boards about vets and ENEMAS- natural.laxatives are the best way to go :)
Karrie

She is 10 months old, never been gravid, and has always been active/alert. The 'mouth open' is a bit disturbing, even though I have seen that behavior in my previous dragons.

I don't remember my other girls completely stopping eating when they went from adolescent to adult; they did slow, Her poop hasn't come as she hasn't been eating. We have been syringe-feeding her water and repti-boost (when she will eat it) whenever her mouth is open. That is how she has been getting her water.

The terrarium set-up has previously been discussed, with the UVB being 6" outside-screen from her bask. She will spend time on the cool side, or under her rock most of the days now.

She loves the outside, and the natural UVA/UVB stimulates her, but has triggered no eating response (like it normally does). She would destroy worms/kale/squash, but now shows no real interest in any of it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok your using a T 8? And it's outside meaning on top of screen-- am I understanding that correct? How old is the UVB?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If it's a T 8 it needs to be inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking decor-- No clear plastic cover over the bulb it needs to be exposed-
The screen blocks 30% of those rays
Karrie

Coopersdad":1yy9uc3i said:
Ok, so here is what I see (I am her dad):

Her basking rock is less than 6" from the new (less than a month old) T8 18" Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb in a non-lensed, reflected housing, shooting through the open mesh screen lid. Temps are measured by a handheld IR temp gauge (same one I use to check my tire carcass temps after some spirited runs), gauge shows anywhere between 85*-105* (depending on how much voltage I send to the bulb (as I have a variable-rheostat set-up inline with her basking lamp fixture). All this is controlled by an automatic (Zoo-Med) light timer unit. Temps also vary based on house temps, but we have the A/C set at 74* ambient.
The humidity varies based on whether we have misted her/her enclosure or not, but it will be between 40%-50% in most cases. Food and water are readily available to her, and she eats at her discretion. Right now, that is a mix of Kale, Acorn Squash, and large superworms. Her poops have been taking on the appearance of whatever she has eaten most (greenish for Kale, kind-of yellowish-orange when more squash has been consumed, and the normal dark brown/blackish when more iron/protein has been consumed). Her urate is usually about 1/4-1/8 of her poop, and well-formed and bright white. It is just the last few weeks her appetite has slowed considerably and her pooping habits have followed suit.
She is active, alert, attentive, and overall pretty much aware and very much alive! Her mouth has been open (in various amounts) for about a month now. She will follow you with her eyes (which are very bright and clear), responds to her name, and is usually quite responsive when picked up/held. She loves to go outside (an advantage of the Florida Panhandle) and I take her out for about 1/2 hour whenever I am able (usually mid-late afternoon). She's always alert, tasting, and looking about when we go outside. She shows NO signs of infection (respitory) as there is no mucus or discharge/discoloration or labored breathing.

I have had 5 other Dragons in my life (the little booger Cooper, whom I took the screen name from, Lassie, Benji, Otis, and my big-man Smaug), but it has been a bit (2 years) since I have had one in my life. Smaug was already full-grown when I got him, and the others were 10 years ago. I am having a very hard time remembering what they were like when they transitioned from 'juvenile' to 'adult'. I believe Marline is at that age (she is between 9 months to 10 months old) and I am thinking this is her slowing the growth and transitioning into adulthood.

Sorry for such a long post; I just wanted the information to get to the proper people, and for as much info to get there as I can remember.

With all due respects, Kerri, if you actually READ what the bulb, distance, and enclosure type are (I took the liberty of quoting the set-up post for you, so that you won't have to go back). This set-up HAS NOT been an issue with her for her life up to this point. And to re-iterate, the bulb itself is BRAND-NEW. Now, if we're done re-hashing info that is already there and presented more than once, can we get to actually discussing possible issues. She is not my first dragon, nor am I an *****.

Coopersdad":1umjlkas said:
She is 10 months old, never been gravid, and has always been active/alert. The 'mouth open' is a bit disturbing, even though I have seen that behavior in my previous dragons.

I don't remember my other girls completely stopping eating when they went from adolescent to adult; they did slow, Her poop hasn't come as she hasn't been eating. We have been syringe-feeding her water and repti-boost (when she will eat it) whenever her mouth is open. That is how she has been getting her water.

The terrarium set-up has previously been discussed, with the UVB being 6" outside-screen from her bask. She will spend time on the cool side, or under her rock most of the days now.

She loves the outside, and the natural UVA/UVB stimulates her, but has triggered no eating response (like it normally does). She would destroy worms/kale/squash, but now shows no real interest in any of it.

Also for your reading enjoyment, see bulb position has been adjusted. I am FULLY aware of UVB bulb strength, filtration/dispersion rates, and locations.

PreciousMarline

Original Poster
Not wanting to eat and under her rock. Doesn't want to come out still not very active. We're taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. Will be keeping updated posts.

PreciousMarline

Original Poster
She told us her basking needs to be around 80-90 her humidity needs to be between 30%-40%. She gave us some stuff to mix with water to feed her to stimulate her appetite and increase her soaking every other day. And if these changes don't help then I have to take her back next week.

PreciousMarline

Original Poster
I was nervous at first considering she is my first reptile. But after talking to the vet I was ok. She didn't do anything extra that didn't need to be done so that was a good thing. Some vets will run tests that are not needed she didn't do that. My fiance he's had 3 or 4 beardies before. But this behavior that Marline is showing, is new to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom