Not eating or not digesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

road8514

Hello all,
I have two dragons that I got from steve at bloodbank. Both have been doing great then all the sudden. About a month ago the male stopped eating as much and now doent eat at all. He is very thin compared to the female who eats everyday. I have been doing some reading on here and found it could be a couple of things.
Here are the cage stats.
50 breeder front sliders
There is one red heat light on one side of the tank that is on at all times
there is one white heat bulb that is on for 12hrs a day or so.
then on the other side of the cage there is a 18in 5.0 retile-sun bulb
there is no substrate in the cage.
the warm side is anywere from 96-105
the cool being 70-75
there is a water dish on the cool side that has water and veggies in it.

I recently read that they should be under 10.0 reptile sun bulbs so the white heat bulb was changed out to a 10.0 25w reptile sun bulb. I feed a wide range of insect from roaches (dubia and discords) to crickets and mealys. the salad is avail at all times to them with dandolion leaves, carrot, zuccine, mustard greens, and colord greens.
here are my problems:
Male wont eat or eats very little
Female seems to have troble sheding but is pooping alot of white, and she seems to be either throwing up or not digesting?

I read that they could throw up cause they eat to much in on siting? I usually keep feeding them as long as they will eat. Any recomendations? Bulbs were changed out with in the last 24hrs. can get some pics of setup if needed
thanks
Road

LJean

Extreme Poster
I recently read that they should be under 10.0 reptile sun bulbs so the white heat bulb was changed out to a 10.0 25w reptile sun bulb.

The ReptiSUN 10 is meant to replace your uvb bulb, not the basking bulb. It is a linear bulb (long tube) not coil or compact.

Not sure why your dragon would have difficulty digesting food if the temps are warm enough in the basking spot. Are you sure of the temperatures? Has she been basking much?

Dragons can get stressed out (and begin to have health issues) when housed with another dragon.
Are your two together?

Hopefully someone more experienced with beardie troubles will come along to help you out soon.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Are you still getting good temps with the basking bulb change?

I'm a bit confused... sorry I don't understand why you would switch the basking (heat) bulb out for another UVB bulb.

That bulb you bought has been known to cause health issues in beardies. (The coils or compacts (and the ReptiGLO brand) are not good lights to use for the beardies.

The red bulb isn't really doing them any good, and should be switched out for a reg. bright white bulb. (can use a household bulb) All lights should be off at night.

If you use the ReptiSUN 10 linear bulb, you would need a bright white basking bulb with it (for heat and good lighting to make things easier on the eyes).

road8514

Original Poster
I am still getting wonderful temps. I will check them again. I used the red light b/c I thought that the beardies could not see the red color and there for it can be on all night as a heat source. I live in mi and our winderts are cold and I was trying to get away from using a heat pad.
Should I get some ceramic heat bulbs?
Why arent the 10.0 bulbs good?
I will take some photos if that will help?
thanks
road

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Here's a site that explains what's wrong with the coil bulbs and a lot of the other bulbs, good and bad.
This page shows some of the things they were told that happened to various reptiles when they used the coil or compact uvb bulbs. Anything from eye problems and lack of appetite, to death in a couple of cases that didn't remove the coil bulbs.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-cases.htm

road8514

Original Poster
coild bulb has been removed and is going back to the store tomarrow. I am going to exchange for two 18 in 10.0 bulbs. I hope this will change his feeding. He is getting thin. What would cause them to throw up their food?

LJean

Extreme Poster
I've only seen one dragon throw up, and I believe because she ate too much too fast. It wasn't continual, just the once. Hopefully someone here has some experience in that area to help you.

To upload photos, you need to put them on a picture hosting site (such as Photobucket) and then place the direct link to the photo in a post here.

road8514

Original Poster
Ok I have changed out the 5.0 bulbs and put in 10.0 bulbs. 18in 15watts. I have also added sand to the males tank. He seemed to stop eating when I went to tiled bottom. Maybe he was to stressed from the tile? I dont know? Any other help would be greatly apperciated!!

road8514

Original Poster
he is still not eating? I have tried roaches, meales, crickets...a warm water bath, but him back on sand, and changed out the 5.o bulb to a 10.0. He is sleeping all day it seems with one eye open. I would like to know if there is a safe way to force feed him to get him to gain some weight?

eyezonz

having the same problem with a dragon that i got from there he ate fine for maybe 2 days and then just stopped maybe eats 1 or 2 small crickets a day and i know that is no where near enough becuase i work at PETSMART and dragons smaller than him eats constantly, will a dragon not eating at a young age stunt there growth

road8514, what size dragon did you purchase

road8514

Original Poster
He was about 6-8inchs. I have been watching a thread in the er section. I have had him taking 15min baths with dropping water on his nose the whole time twice a day. I will also start the babyfood treatment today. he has already become a bit more active still not eating but more active. I have another dragon that I got at the same time from bloodbank that is doing great! she wants to eat when ever I come by the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom