Not eating, lethargic, yellow poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
Hey all,
A friend of mine has two bearded dragons, until recently she housed them together, but has since separated them. One of them has become increasingly lethargic and pale since this change. The bearded dragon refuses to eat anything at all. She has been force feeding greens, and today the bearded dragon pooped pure undigested rocket. The beardie is also constantly attempting to go to the cold side, and has begun scratching at the floor of the vivarium. She is no longer scratching however. The bearded dragon has also lost all of its colour, turning almost completely white, neither has it shed in several months.
It seems the bearded dragon is attempting to brumate, though the temps are right and she recently came out of brumation.
The bearded dragon has also been on liquid calcium (calci-blast) recently as she has not been eating, and could not be given calci dust.

the tank specs are:
4 1/2 ft by 2 x 2.
exo terra repti glo 10.0 strip bulb
100 watt spot lamp
ceramic tile substrate
temps range 105-80
there is a heat mat, but it sits under a ceramic tile.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that you did separate them.
The Reptiglo 10 is not a good bulb. It emits low wavelength UVB and is not conducive to D3 synthesis. How long has she been under the Reptiglo 10?
Since you are in Ireland, you should be able to find the Arcadia D3 12% which is a much better tube bulb.
Are her urates hard then?
How close is the bulb? Do you have the tube bulb directly beside a basking light?
Do you have a picture of your tank setup for us?
I am sorry that she is not doing well. Did you dose the calcium properly?
How is your other dragon doing?

Tracie

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the reply.
We don't have the Arcadia here but we do have the reptisun 10.0 tube bulbs. I use the reptisun with my two bearded dragons and they have had no problems whatsoever.
As for the bearded dragons urates, from what I have seen they have been very soft, in some cases pure liquid. The UVB is about 12 inches away from the dragon, with the spot lamp at about 8 inches, and to the left of the UVB.
I don't have a picture of her tank but I can possibly get one.
She has since cut off the calcium, and no longer gives it to either bearded dragon.
The other bearded dragon has a bad case of MBD but is otherwise healthy.

Lara

A bad case of MBD but otherwise fine? MBD is not fine. But I get what you mean. These dragons seem in a terrible condition.
The one with MBD - forcefeed it crickets - about 15 crickets. Forcefeed veggies like beans, apples and bell peppers, diced into small pieces and smothered in calcium powder (dust the crickets). See if he improves, if not within 2 to 3 days take him to a vet (if i were you id take him today).

The one thats not eating - take it outside into the sun to bask for a while. If needed forcefeed it crickets as well, and veggies like above. I think both of them need a reptile vet that knows what he's doing asap.

UV bulb is always a matter up for debate. Ive been using the reptiglo 10.0 for 6 years and never had any problems. Although never forget natural sunlight is the ultimate UV light, so take both of those dragons outside, in the sun, and let them bask for a while. Hope they get better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how she is doing.
Any improvements today?

**Lara, you are very luck & one of the few exceptions actually, regarding the Reptiglo 10. Are you sure you have been using the Reptiglo 10 for 6 years? That 10 has not been out for 6 years, but you must have had the 8 previously, which was a good light. Their upgrade, the 10 is horrible. It emits poor UVB.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlameBeardie
Top Bottom