Not eating but no parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bear die Donny has recently (last month or so) completely gone off insects, will eat a little veg but not interested particularly in that either.
I have had a faecal test done which has come back clear for parasites.

I recently changed his tank round, but he was already going off bugs before then so I don’t think it’s that. Temps and lighting are the same as they’ve always been.

I’m giving him baths every few days and making sure he drinks some water during them to keep hydrated. I also made up a purée of carrot and kale with some calcium powder and have syringe fed him a couple of times with that which he happily accepts.

One day he’ll be sleeping most the day, the next chilling on his rock. He looks of generally good health, is losing some weight but not a lot.

Any ideas? I’m going to try and speak to a reptile vet in the next few days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They tend to slow down on eating about this time of year -- first how old is Donny? And how old is your UVB and what brand and bulb is it? We need to figure out if its a semi brumation or if its some kind of husbandry issue --- temps and lighting are the same? What are the temps and how are you taking them- it is hard to say just exactly what it is w/ out some more info --- what insects were you feeding him and was he eating salads as well ? Sometimes they get tired of one insect--- so that is why all the questions
Karrie

lgracethompson94

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

He’s around 18 months old.UVB is 6 months old and an exoterra repti-glo 10% which I know isn’t good I’m currently sorting an Arcadia one but I need to get a new fitting as well. But he’s had the repti glo since I got him at 3 months and seems to have been fine up until now.

Temps are 40-41 on basking spot and cool end is 23-25. Basking bulb is a Komodo basking spot bulb 100w.

He was on Dubia and super worms but won’t touch those or some locusts that I bought recently. I’m going to order some fruit beetle grubs as he used to go nuts for those but haven’t bought any for a while.

He has never been a great salad eater but I have been managing to get him to eat carrot and spring greens, and apple. But this isn’t that regular.

He certainly still looks a good weight but it’s still really worrying me!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get rid of this repti-glo 10% and replace w/ one of these ASAP---
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
this is a guess for the not eating -- and it takes awhile for these bad bulbs to take effect and given the age I would say it is now effecting him ---- get it changed out and I am sure you will notice a difference in his behavior
Karrie

lgracethompson94

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

Thanks for the advice, I’ll get on the case ASAP. I did change the repti glo in April so it’s now approaching the 6 month limit but yes will get this swapped.

Will update you soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom