not eaten for a month.. first time force/syringe feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophiehawes

Hatchling Member
hi,
my 8 month old female Lola stopped eating and pooping about a month ago.. she had me compleatly convinced she was gravid as she was showing al the signs but after 3 weeks and some advice from here i took her to the vets he examined her and as assured me she was not egg bound.. and that she was healthy as from what he could see.. he gave her a muti vitamin shot and told me if she had not started to eat in a couple of days i could start syringe feeding her... i looked on youtube as to how to open her mouth and i tried today i blended some spring greens and some carrot and added come calci dust .. this is where i need some help..

1- how much do i feed her?
2- what should i give her?
3- when i fed her she was making a bit of a squeeking noise is this normal?

i have all the right temps and set up as i have had loads of help from the forum to get it bang on.. she was been quite lazy over the winter sitting in her hide at the cool end and obviously since she stopped eating she hasnt been pooping... anyway any help on syringe feeding would be greatly appreciated

thanks

sophie and lola

lillahine

We are having the same thing with fluffy right now except our guy is close to 11 months old. Our vet gave us something called critical care its like canned dog food and we mix it with water. The vet put in the instructions give 1 ml per 30 grams of weight fluffy weighs 400 grams so he is supposed to get 14 ml a couple times a day. We have not any luck getting this in his mouth he knows after the first time and wont even let us touch his mouth.

sophiehawes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lillahine":20h9bige said:
We are having the same thing with fluffy right now except our guy is close to 11 months old. Our vet gave us something called critical care its like canned dog food and we mix it with water. The vet put in the instructions give 1 ml per 30 grams of weight fluffy weighs 400 grams so he is supposed to get 14 ml a couple times a day. We have not any luck getting this in his mouth he knows after the first time and wont even let us touch his mouth.

here u go this is the youtube clip i watched to find out how to do it

http://youtu.be/8TylhujQqdA

he has his hand in the was for a start but then u can see... u pull the lip down from the side and slide it to the front and then they should stary to lick then squeese it in... easyer said than done tho

icelore

Juvie Member
Could you possibly wrap them "burrito" style in a towel with their arms back at their sides to prevent struggling? I'm by no means a reptile expert, but after working in animal rescue for some long, that was the first thing that came to mind. 8) They might not like you much afterwards, but feeding them seems more important.

sophiehawes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah i did but she keeps making like a squeeking sound when i syringe feed her i think she is making it because she doesnt like me doing it.... so i have decided to try vegetable medly baby food on her nose instead of syringe feeding she seems to be licking it off and today she had a poo!! that surly is a good sign do u think? :blob8:

sophiehawes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah i offer her anythin i can think of to eat.. the only couple of things she has eaten are the white things mealworms evolve into! and u cent buy them u have to wait for them lol picky or what! but she wont eat those now either.... here is a recent pic coz she wont sit to b measured

DSC00642_zps801658d1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom