Not Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Recently, Shenron's light (an All Living Creatures bulb) came apart. Not wanting it to be a fire hazard, my dad took it out and replaced it with a red light. This was an extremely temporary solution, I knew, so I went to the pet store and got him a ZooMed 150 watt spot basking light. However, since then, Shenron has not been basking and staying near the UVB light instead. His feces have been small at best, and I know this might be because since he has not been basking and thus not digesting properly. He is almost in a brumation-like state now, but I know this can't be the case because his brumation cycle starts in November. I have put the bulb up higher so it is not too hot for him, but he still won't bask.

Could there be a possible impaction as well?

What do I do?

Thank you.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Can you tell me how hot the temperatures are? How big is your viv? What TYPE and BRAND of UVB do you use?

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's about 101 F on the basking side, 85 F on the cool side. He tends to stay in the middle of the tank where the temps are about 95 F.

He is in a 45 gallon breeder.

The UVB is due for changing in two days, and is a ReptiSun 10.0 tube.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
When you say the "basking side" is 101* is that directly under the basking light? If not can you tell me the temps right under the light. I want to make sure it's not too high because I have a 100 watt ZooMed in a taller tank and my basking temps are getting too high (111*F).

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just double checked with a temp gun, and even with the light as high as it is, I'm getting 110 F. :shock:

That's WAY too hot. That might explain why he's favoring the cooler side.

I suppose I'll stop at PetsMart tomorrow and pick up an All Living Creatures bulb since those seem to regulate the temperature better for my tank.

I guess I'll just keep giving Shenron warm baths to get his digestive system moving. :?

Edit: Just raised the bulb as high as it could go. That seems to be lowering the temps to a more ideal one. Shenron seems to be staying in that position longer in the basking area now, but we'll see.

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Shenron's a little over 8 years old now. My intention wasn't to give him high temps, just to get him off the red bulb as quickly as possible. I know new bulbs tend to get really hot and get cooler as they age, and a 150 watt is what I usually used, though this is my first time using the ZooMed brand.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I like zoo med products. If you can get your hands on a 100 watt zoo med you might try that. I just had to buy an exoterra sunglo because the pet store I went to didn't have the zoo med... I literally just screwed it in so I have no idea how it's working yet. I went to check on my little one because she quit basking too and it was 114*!! I turned it off got straight in the car and went to the pet store. As I'm learning, temps are basically trial-and-error (which both me and my wallet hate). Good luck
Sara
PS see if you can exchange yours since you JUST bought it

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,

Well it sounds like with that spike in temperature she just wasnt interested in basking.
In terms of what basking bulb to use honestly Id just recommend a normal household spotlight bulb. I use them for my youngster. They are super cheap and provide a very nice tight beam of heat for basking. Because they are so cheap it gives you much more room to experiment and swap around until you find a temperature that your girl enjoys.
Remember adults can have a basking temp from 95-105. It might be that your girl just wants it cooler nowadays.
I use a 40w tightbeam spotlight bulb. At about 8 inches distance it gives a basking temp of 110 in a wooden viv.

Holly

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So, you mean just a regular bulb that we screw in normally for our household? Doesn't that not provide UVA, though?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Yes a normal bulb you would use around your home. Spotlight bulbs work best though because they direct the heat downwards rather than radiating outwards.
Your basking bulb is only for heat and doesnt actually need to kick out huge amounts of UVA. Most your required UVA will come out with the UVB of your flourescent tube. UVA is the main component of sunlight, and is supplied in reasonable amounts by any ordinary household bulb.
You can double check this at uvguide.co.uk, or by searching on these forums. Try the enclosures section specifically.
You can also check at: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/300480-what-best-basking-bulb-bearded.html
Wikipedia also states:
"Herpetology -
Reptiles need long wave UV light to metabolize calcium for bone and egg production. Thus, in a typical reptile enclosure, a fluorescent UV lamp is used at one end of the enclosure for calcium absorption and a common incandescent bulb is used at the other end for heat (basking)."

Id go so far to say that most members who use florescent tubes use regular bulbs for their basking spots ^_^

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom