Not a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasnt to sure if i wanted to post anything today about this whole situtation.
But who to more understand than ppl that know how much a Beardie can mean to them and how hard it is to lose one.
My Diaz was never a thriver, he was obv born with a few problems and when he was a little older they became apparent, he could never really walk properly and i have to admit because of my local pet shop owners he probably didnt have a a great start to his life ( which makes me feel even more guilty today). We housed 2 of our beardys together when we brought them home when they were a few mnths old. We noticed the smaller of the 2 wasnt eating as much and was hiding and wasnt growing as much as the other, i think i posted my first post at that stage with concerns about his growth. Oneday the larger out of the 2 thought the others tail was food because it was moving and took a nip, and when he realized what it was he let go but the smaller one went into shock. After i had read all the replies here on this site i realized how wrong it was to have them together and felt so damn guilty and seperated them and changed a few things in the enclosures asap.
He did start to grow once he was away from the other one but was always small in size and always needed help moving around and id help out by hand feeding to make sure he had plenty to eat etc, he was my special little guy, he was still alert and explored my couches when we got him out, while everyone noticed how beautiful our other beardy was, ( and she is) the rest of our family still loved Diaz just as much. He got another infection in his tail where our other had biten him 2 years later ( it never shed properly in that area) so we took him to the vet, got medication ( anti biotics) as well as injections and put silvastine ointment on it, and it never made a diff, they changed his medication and it still didnt do anything, they took some tail off, and we waited again putting ointment on and anti biotics, in the last weeks hes gone down hill, wasnt eating, wasnt moving, i had to bath him, holding his tail tip out of water making sure he wasnt getting dehydrated, hand feeding his baby foods as he woundlt any longer eat solid food. After seeing and speaking to the vet, we come to the conclusin he just isnt getting better hes getting worse and his quality of life just isnt there. I made the choice today that he is to be put down. So my partner has just taken him to the vet. My kids and i were in tears saying goodbye to our little friend. he was one of our family and it was very hard to say goodbye. I just couldnt go, i couldnt do it, i feel very guilty that i couldnt go, and i feel like ive let him down but there wasnt anything else we could do. Im glad my partner said hed stay with him till he went, makes me feel ok he has someone there. I turned the lights off in his tank just now n its hearbreaking. Tears rolling down my eyes as i type this. arggggggggggg, just needed to tell someone how sad i feel. Thanks for listening.

Belinda xxoxoxoxoxo

Tigg

Juvie Member
Such a sad story, I am so sorry for your loss but at the same time I am very happy that you made the RIGHT decision.

I couldn't imagine losing my little girl, and I am amazed every day by how attached I have become to her.

They are very special little animals and I am sure in time... when you are ready, you will be able to bring home another special little one to pass on your love, and give a great life.

Thanks for sharing your story.

crickest

Juvie Member
We lost our son's Ash on April 3 and I can completely understand how hard, how painful, losing your beardie can be. . . my son's heart broke that day, and so did mine. We weren't there when Ash went to the Bridge, because when we left the hospital we thought he was okay, and my son didn't get to say goodbye. I think it would have been easier if he could have said goodbye to his buddy. Take comfort in the fact that Diaz had a good home and that you did whatever you could. We are all sending hugs and comfort your way.

BeardedDad

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Been a hard few days... Unpacked his enclosure on the weekend, was hard to do. But i have now come to realize i did the right thing. He will never be forgotton. My heart goes out to anyone who faces this in the future. xoxox And makes me appreciate my other Beardie that little bit more!

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Belinda,
Hugs to you and yours!!!!!!!!!! I cannot imagine the pain you must be feeling. As has been said before,I would never have dreamed me or my family could become attached to a lizard(ooohhh excuse me,as my hubby would say,majestic dragon) We are all nuts over her. Please know you all are in our thoughts and prayers.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom