(not a beardie Question) help iguana with bad burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

remi1

Juvie Member
Bellalee":f8ybrrbm said:
tygfv
remi1":f8ybrrbm said:
Oh my goodness, that's horrible!!! Hopefully he got arrested for animal cruelty, because that's not excusable. :angry5: :angry5:

For her eyes you can rinse them with sterile saline. There's this stuff that you put on mammals' eyes when they're in surgery or have facial nerve paralysis and can't blink to keep them from drying out, but I can't remember the name of it. PURALUBE.

If she's used to eating bananas and won't eat anything else, then the only way I know of to get a picky eater to eat is to only offer the food that they need and hold out on her until she eats. Bananas are treats and aren't good to be eating everyday like that. She's used to getting what she wants, and as I'm sure you know, iguanas are stubborn! I know, I have three. It might take upwards of a week and half, though, and it's nerve racking. I'm sure you've tried collards and other leafy greens (but not lettuce)? Since she's skinny, then you could give her oxbow critical care, but I don't know where you'd get it from other than a vet. Speaking of, has she seen a vet? It sounds like she has some serious issues that an experienced reptile vet could help you out with...

For retained sheds, give her daily long soaks in the bathtub. Those top spikes often have issues shedding, though. If those on mine just won't come off, I will take a knife and GENTLY make a little incision up the side of the retained spike, being really, really careful not to cut into the spine itself. Once I make a slit like that, they will usually slide off. If they don't, I go back to soaking. Baths are also good for potty issues. But if she hasn't been eating that much, then she won't poop as often.

For the pictures, copy and paste the entire "img" line from photobucket. That should work. It's usually pretty long.

Good luck!!!

:) Just wanted to write that in there.. you should be able to get puralube at most vets.

Those "owners" are awful.. bless you for taking on such a task.. I hope she knows what it feels like to be loved.
Those

That's it! :D :roll:

geckogirl1836

Original Poster
So Ellie is doing great today but im little worried I've had her for over a week and I still haven't seen her go potty and the last 3 days shes been drinking tons of water and eating a lot of snow peas and veggie baby food

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, she is doing pretty well then. So, how are the baby food slurries going, is she enjoying them quite a bit then I hope?
Well, she appeared very dehydrated, so, it probably will take her awhile to go potty. Her kidneys just have not quite caught up yet. Continue to give extra oral fluids & the baby food slurry, & she should hopefully continue to improve. I am pulling for Ellie!
Keep us posted on her, bless her.

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm not one to want an iguana as a pet, I prefer to stick with beardies. However, I was curious last night when I first saw this thread and I saw the pics of her I was depressed. My husband saw the pics and he said it gave him nightmares last night. We both hope the owners that did that to her are punished. Also, I hope they don't have any children. People that abuse animals usually go on to abuse children or do horrible things to other people. I will try to keep updated with Ellie's progress. I'm soo happy you got to rescue her. If I found one of those at the local animal rescue, I'd probably take it and contact a reptile rescue (there's one in Tucson) and get it to them as I am not setup to take an animal as large as iguana's get. Good luck with her.

geckogirl1836

Original Poster
day seven with Ellie still no poop been soaking her nightly for ten minutes at a time she's drinking tons of water and eating like a champ still only eating snow peas and veggie baby food. is there any way to speed up her pooping I've had her for seven days and nothing and her cage at the shelter was completely poop free so im worried cause it's been over a week since she went?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hooray for poopies!!!

Poor Ellie - im sure she was glad to get it out - even if it was just a little. DId she have trouble going? Was it hard at all?
When is her vet appointment? Please keep us updated on how she is doing - we're all really hoping for the best for her!!

T

remi1

Juvie Member
Yea!! :blob5: :blob8: I'm glad Ellie is pulling through! You're going to have one devoted ig when she's all better :D Keep us updated!

geckogirl1836

Original Poster
Ellie appointment is Saturday and she seemed fine when she went but it was very little but I guess a little is better then none especially when it was a long time coming

MissT

BD.org Addict
Yep, you are def getting her on the road to recovery!! Poor girl!! Just keep bathing and giving her the slurries and hopefully she will start pooping more regularly!

I wish I had something useful to add, but all I can offer is bless you. Bless you so much for saving her, and for caring when everyone else gave up.

People can be so heartless and monstrous and this whole situation is insane, senseless- unbelievable that you see horror movies about vengeful and vicious reptiles terrorizing humans so often its cliche, and yet here we see who the real monsters end up being. I actually know a *lot* of people who insist that cold blooded animals aren't really "animals" at all (take a middle school biology class, sheesh), or can't feel pain, or even if they do feel it, it doesn't count because its a "different kind of pain, anyway". It really irritates me that they're the same species as I am, and sometimes, I really doubt it can be possible.

And you know, I don't care if the people that did this *are* in jail, it won't be for *nearly* long enough, and when they get out, I'd be very surprised if they didn't victimize something helpless again, and next time, it could be a human being, at which point everyone will (as usual) ignore the fact that deliberately harming animals *ought* to be taken more seriously in the first place. Sigh.

Anyway. Bless you with all my heart, you and Ellie have all my healing thoughts and wishes.

remi1

Juvie Member
I'm so glad that she's eating for you, that's awesome!! You should try her on dandelion or collard greens, she might love those. If you don't already know about it, http://www.anapsid.org/ is a great site for ig care. There's this huge document here http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/icfs/index.html that goes really in-depth on food stuffs, among other things. I found it really informative.

Keep us posted, and remember, we love pics (hint, hint :wink: ) :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

GREAT to hear that Ellie is beginning to get a little bit of an appetite back, bless her! :D Keep giving the slurries & getting her hydrated back up. Remember, reptiles do take a lot longer to respond to treatment than mammals because their metabolism is so specialized. It sounds like she is on the road to recovery, slowly.
I was also going to say to go easy on the supplements for the first month to allow her kidneys to kick in fully. Too much supplementation on a reptile with renal issues can cause problems, so just slowly work her up to a regular supplementation routine.
I hope that she is feeling better soon. We all do love pictures here, so post some new ones when you can.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom