Norris Notes - Two years already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
heading out to buy supplies for Norris' viv. We are neck deep and will soon be up to our eye balls in viv building. :p

You can't go wrong with any of those beautiful babies. I looked through that site and they were all just little jewels. :D

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Viv building well underway. Had to delay finishing the wood because of rain....rain in Vegas? Only today, naturally...

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just caught Norris arm waving at his own reflection again. :lol: Poor baby is so tough looking but it's all out on the outside. He's so tough looking that he cowers himself! He has a lot of spikes!!!

He also bearded at Kato (the passive kitty) who jumped up on my lap when I was seated next to hubby who was holding Norris. He didn't gray or black beard...he just puffed up a nice creamy white beard when Kato tried to nuzzle against Sean...too close warning, I suppose.
Norris climbed to the top of my husband's head and gave Kato the stink eye for his invasion and Kato, of course, was oblivious.

I keep promising more pictures but I still don't have any...oops.

ajtay

Hatchling Member
Norris is beautiful, i love his colors the pictures of him and the pumpkin are my favorite, and the grumpy old man popping out of his log lol, i cant wait to see some more pictures!!!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
really really will take more pictures....just building anticipation... 8)

actually, every free moment has been on building this silly viv. We are on the last phase. Electrical. Tonight we just wired in three lights. One basking, one for heat and one just for light on the cool side. (or heat if needed or as his bask if he decides to like that side better) We just plugged them in and they even worked! whoohoooo! now we our mounting our reptisun and drilling the hole to feed through the back. after that it is just attaching the doors which are already made and waiting and we are done. We've left them off to let everything have extra airing out time for smelliness reasons.
Naturally, as soon as we started to stain and seal we got hit with rain........

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ugh! Sounds like so much work- I'm tryig to decide on a standard custom stack or a corner cabinet for my 3. then, I'm getting my dad to make it (if he has nothing better to do lol!)

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
it's been fun but not much less $$$ just that we are getting exactly what we want. Yet already we are talking of making this viv into a uro viv and making Norris another LOL!!!
Still, unless he hates it, it will be long to Norris. It has wood sides which I think he needs...he likes to run into the glass waay too much...he's a nut!

He's getting sooo big it's crazy

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
okay, some photos!

This is Norris who WAS sleeping but who is now being inspected by our cat Clouseau. Yes, he is sleeping mostly on a suction cup food dish and yes his viv is too small!!! which is why his viv is sitting on top of his new viv....much much bigger! :)

vivclue.jpg

yes, I know it looks like a dresser but we gutted it out, sanded it down and then stained it and sealed it with low odor wood finish for beardie friendliness. The drawers are now fake and just hide extra viv space where Norris has three light sockets for basking, and reg light. There is a side mounted florescent uvb fixture that runs almost the entire back of the viv.

vivVIV1.jpg

sorry the image quality isn't the best. these were shot in semi darkness. Norris was asleep when we swapped his tank stand with the dresser. He stayed asleep through it all until the cats joined in...drats cats!

The doors used to be solid but we knocked out the center panels and put in plexiglass.
We also have new handles on order from home depot that are lizards for the drawers but Norris is growing SO FAST we won't wait for them to come in.

Here is the back panel opened. We made it open for easier access than the front doors ... especially important for the longer uvb tube.
Vivback1.jpg

Here is the lighting 'guts'. It is in tubing to keep it extra safe and then bracketed so that it doesn't become tempting to play with or climb on. We think we have it all tucked up completely out of the way. We have room to add in another light if we decide to later, also. This is before we blew out the sawdust so pardon our mess if it shows up in the photo!
vivguts.jpg

here is a picture from a few weeks ago of Norris inspecting a treat of rose petals and a wee bit of strawberry that he 'discovered' while out exploring.
strawberryroses.jpg

Norris likes riding around when I'm cleaning his viv in the mornings. There is a mirror in the hallway and he enjoys looking at the amazingly handsome dragon who is always waiting there for him when we go by. My husband took a picture of it. (from a few weeks ago..he's about two inches longer now)
NewViv013.jpg

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
now we need to work on making some custom basking area thingies to fit it! His tree and other items will look so lost in there. We are going to let him have time to explore and maybe have a few meals and enjoy it before moving him in. hopefully it doesn't stress him out too much that way.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Carrie, all looks great so far! I'm going to have to figure things out for Travis soon- this viv isn't going to last too long!!!!!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know the feeling, Norris suddenly started out growing his viv so fast that I was feeling awful and guilty every time I put him in it! :cry: But no longer! Today we let Norris have his first explore of the new viv and all went very well. I had a camera on hand and for a change of pace, I even had some time to put up some photos. So here is Norris meeting his new viv.

Since it was completely empty we first warmed it up to cool 80 on the far side. I didn't have two extra thermometers so I'm just going to guess that it was between 90f and 85f on the warm side. Our house is currently dipping into the upper sixties when we aren't paying attention so we absolutely had to warm it up before Norris could visit. (also why I didn't want to borrow Norris' current viv's thermometer)
I stuck in Norris' old tree which he still clearly loves but has out grown. He found it right away and gave it a few licks then climbed up in it to prove that he still can fit!! His tail was laying on the ground for several inches. In his old viv there isn't enough height and depth for him to use it anymore....poor Norris...he looked happy to see it.

Here is Norris' Tree reunion.
NewViVTreereunion1.jpg

"Look Trees!!! I can fit!! SEE!"

"It's MY Tree! Keep Away!"
NewViVMyTree.jpg

These pics were before his first meal. We let him have his morning salad in his new viv. Here is Norris tearing apart his collard, dandelion, and turnip green salad. It is topped with cooked summer squash which he is really going for lately.

NewVivfirstmeal.jpg

newvivfirstmeal2.jpg

newvivfirstmeal3.jpg

newvivfirstmeal4.jpg

newvivfirstmeal5.jpg

hehe okay that was a lot of eating photos but I love watching him eat so I thought I'd inflict it on everyone else. He will eat all that salad by the end of the day.
After he eats all his crickets and won't eat anymore, he usually will wander over and grab just a bite or two of salad like it is a after dinner mint or dessert or something??

After having a good deal of salad, Norris looked around for his usual climbing spot and realized suddenly that he wasn't in his viv....not his most shinning moment there! 8)
So after taking a few steps and freezing for a few moments he started exploring or looking for a hot spot, not sure which?
newViVexplore.jpg

In case it was the later, I put him back up in his viv so he could bask and so that's all for now. Later tonight I'll let him have another look over the new home and as long as he's not stressing I guess I'll just keep leaving him in longer and longer while I get the lights and heat right.
Bye for now :)

MissT

BD.org Addict
Awwwww look at little Norris in his tree! He WILL fit on it forever, you know? Kazi had a tiny hide that he always managed to squeeze himself into.

One question though... what have you been feeding him??? He got HUGE!!!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It had to happen eventually, right!? :p He's really just gotten long. He's still a light weight. He's eating crickets, dubia, commercial pellets as treats, the occasional horn or wax worm when we can get good sized ones and convince him to eat them. He really loves his salads. Not going to be a problem getting him to swap to more greens when he gets older, I'm thinking.

EDIT: I swear I heard him grunt when he had to pull himself up onto his tree. har har!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom