No UVB bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izabee33

So I have my adorable little Iggy and I have never used a UVB bulb, he is turning 3 this year and seems to be healthy. I take him and put him in the window to get morning light, and during the summer I let him roam outside in the grass. Is this a healthy alternative for buying a UVB bulb?

Hello Izabee33 this is unhealthy for your dragon i am surprised that he hasn't gotten ill over a long period of time like this, unless you are taking him outside daily to get the proper UVB that he needs. UVB rays can not penetrate glass so if you have him in a glass tank and the sun is beaming through the window your beardie will not get any UVB at all. I recommend opening up your window and placing a basking spot there. He shouldn't be able to jump out the window if you have a screen. If you don't i would highly recommend one if you are going to take this route.

Izabee33

Original Poster
I do usually have the window open when he basks. The only time I have issues with is in winter. The UVB bulbs are just so expensive

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
UVB bulbs may be expensive, but they're important to your little buddy's health. Not trying to nag you or make you feel bad, but I would personally get him a UVB bulb. If you're an Amazon Prime member you can even order a Reptisun 10.0 for 23 bucks or maybe take your chances by buying from a random seller on Amazon.. Though that can be risky so be sure to check up on the ratings of each seller. Also never buy one used as without a UVB meter you never know which ones actually have UVB and which ones do not when they've been used.

sue09

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry to say but he must have a UVB, his body needs it I'm also very surprised that he hasnt taken ill already you have been very lucky.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I echo the other poster's thoughts on this. UVB is essential and the cost is a necessity just as food costs are. What are you using for a basking bulb? If it's a mercury vapor bulb, then the UVB is being emitted and a separate UVB light is not needed. If it is a regular basking bulb, then a tube style basking bulb will be needed in addition.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
You were on here a little over a year ago, and were told that your dragon needed a UVB, yet you still have yet to get one for him. Your dragon NEEDS proper UVB. It doesn't matter if the bulb is expensive. Owning an animal in general is expensive.

You were also told that putting your dragon by the window will NOT give him the UVB that he needs. Taking him outside will do it, but he will need tons of outside time to get the same amount of UVB that a bulb will give him.

If you haven't changed anything from this thread: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=187270&p=1501874#p1501874 Then we can't help you, as you have been against changing or fixing anything written it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom