No appetite and spending more time in hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfxfire

I've owned toothless for like 7/8 months he (guessing) originally came from PetSmart and was tiny so I don't know how old he Is now but im pretty sure i found a sperm plug recently so there's that lol.
He has always had a good appetite even when I first got him and he had a respritory infection and needed antibiotics! I've always been especially proud that he eats his veggies lol. Earlier this month I noticed he was loosing interest in veggies but was still eating plenty of bugs ( I thought maybe he was becoming more of a spoiled lizard since I wasn't enforcing veggies before bugs as good as I used to) then I noticed he was eating less bugs and recently he wasn't showing much interest in any food.
He hadn't pooped in a few days which he usually does every other day or so.. I gave him a bath and he pooped kind of a lot but still had no appetite after and the lack of appetite has continued over the last few days he won't even look twice at any of his food!!! superworms, dubia roaches, squash, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole hes not interested at all! I always leave bugs in an escape proof dish and veggies available that I refresh like twice a day but I don't think he has touched any of it.
He is still acting pretty normal and alert when I interact with him and bring him out to explore but he is spending more time on the cool side as well as in his hide. ( I have rearranged the tank a few times lately but thats honestly something I do pretty regular and it's never effected him before..but I've heard change can stress them out) A few days after his big poop he had a really little poop which I figured is because he hasn't been eating...
I'm starting to go crazy!!! lol can someone tell me how serious is it for a beardie older than 7 months to stop eating?? I read online they can go 2 and a half weeks before you should worry but I started worrying after two days lmao! how long should I wait out the hunger strike before taking him to a vet?
Is this all signs of being impacted? Or since he has pooped a few times does that mean it's not impaction? I need to do a fecal to see if he has parasites but how can I if he won't eat and won't poop? Ive given him reptaid a few times and water out of a dropper I'm nervouse he will get dehydrated.. he isn't getting the calcium/vitamin powder (is rephashy all in one a good one to be useing?) since he's not eating should I be adding it to the water I give him?
Is this the start of brumation? When do they normally brumate? Maybe it's time for me to replace the Arcadia t5 I have.. how often should that uvb bulb be replaced? Maybe I need to lower the heat now that he is older? The weather has been a little hot lately so maybe I need a lower wattage basking bulb..at this age should the basking spot be closer to 100? since he was going into his hide so early I thought maybe my light schedule was wrong so i changed the timer so the lights come on at sunrise and go off at sunset is that okay? I'm going to loose my mind overthinking the details!!! Lol sorry it's so long I appreciate any advice

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is not uncommon for them to go off their food - especially in hot weather -- if hes pooping hes not impacted-- is he basking? Your T 5 is good for a year - I would replace it out about a month before-- you can try lowering your basking temp- I know I was having to mess w/ mine yesterday my tanks were too hot - so today I am gonna haft to watch them as well - weather is going to be really hot here today and I didnt have my air running so the tanks were pretty warm- the air is now running- but watch your basking temps and see what he does -- you can always drop water on his nose to see if he will lick he water off --just keep his lights on at the normal time you have them all the changing is going to confuse him--- feed him the normal time lights off the normal time and leave his decor pieces the same -- they dont like change --- from his diet it sounds like he doesnt have parasites -- you would know if he did - his poop would have a smell that would drive you from the room - it would be really runny -- he would not eat -- and be lethargic-- right now it sounds like he is just off cuz of the heat - if you want get a weight on him weigh in grams on a kitchen food scale and keep a chart - if hes losing a lot of weight then its time for a vet visit--
Karrie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Thank you for replying he is not really basking lately when I check on him he is in his hide on the cool side if I take him out and put him on his hammock to bask he will stay there for a while and he is alert holding his head up high and everything so I think that's good. he ate 4 dubia roaches yesterday before he lost interest the first food I've seen him eat in like a week! and I was so excited he was eating I forgot to dust them with the rephashy I usually dust his greens because he eats them so good.. I'm keeping an eye on the temperature and giving him water by a dropper. I'm just happy he ate a little yesterday gave me some hope lol and I weighed him so I'll be able to see if he starts loosing weight. The t5 Arcadia is just a few months old so it shouldn't be uvb related...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The t5 Arcadia is where in the tank ? on top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Hi sorry it took me a bit to respond I ended up bringing in a stool sample and he tested positive for parasites so I have an appointment Monday was the soonest I could get to have him checked out so they can prescribe medicine. To answer you question I was told the t8 are supposed to be mounted inside the tank but the t5 should sit on top so I have my t5 on top of the screen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
T 5' s are ok on top depending on how thick the screen is - basking decor should be 8-10 inches
Karrie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
I have the thrive 40 gallon front open tank I believe.. do you know if that's an okay one to have the t5 on top of the screen ? I got these uvb tester cards on Amazon and they did turn from white to pink when exposed to uvb and it seemed like it was getting through pretty good.
I'm super worried about my beardie.. I weighed him on 6/15 he was 473g and then today 6/20 he is 466 g and not to be weird lol but I totally weighed his last poo to make sure I had enough for the test and it was 4g so he has only lost 3g so I guess I shouldn't be too worried.. but he seems so much more lethargic today :( I have the appointment Monday but is there anything I should be doing?? other than offering water from a dropper and giving reptaid? What do I need to know about parasite treatment? Is there any medications that I should ask for? I'm seeing a new vet hopefully they will know their reptile stuff.. Should I get probiotics or something? can I use f10sc to clean everything in the enclosure? Any advice is helpful how serious are parasites? And not eating.. should I be super worried?
Should I increase my temps at night since he's not feeling good?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am going to flag this post w/ all those questions to AHBD - hopefully shes on this morning and can answer those ---- Tracie wont be on till late tonite so maybe she can answer those as well before you to to the vet tomorrow
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, try not to worry too much. They can lose up to 25 grams just with a large poo. Offer water with dripper as you said and see if he does a bit better. Wait + see what the meds. do for him, it's generally easy on them and should do fine. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can use F10 to clean the tank follow the instructions on the bottle - I usually spray the tank down w/ the F10 let it sit for 10 minutes then rinse it out w/ vinegar / water solution -- you can try and keep your tank a little warmer at nite if you want around 80 --
Karrie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Than you for the reassurance! I got him to eat 3 bugs this morning and he had some water he seems to have perked up a bit and the vet appointment is tomorrow so I'm not as worried today :)

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Does your Thrive tank have the super thick metal "screen" that it came with on it?
I'd love to hear from someone who has a T5 on top of theirs be able to tell how much uvb gets through. Which Arcadia bulb do you have?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It can be very stressful when they show signs of brumation at that age, but, they can brumate
at young ages. How much would you say that he weighs?
What parasite or worm was identified in the stool sample & which medication did they end up
prescribing him. I hope that they didn't put him on any type of Ivomec/Ivermectin, etc though,
because that is pretty toxic & has been known to kill them.
Do you have any pictures of him, along with your tank setup you could post just so we could
see lighting placement, etc?
Normally I recommend using probiotics just for help with keeping their appetites during any
type of medication round.
Just do your best with keeping him hydrated using a plastic dropper or syringe, daily if you can.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Gah I typed up a whole thing and then lost it lol
He has pinworm and roundworm and they prescribed panacur. He is a bit dehydrated even though I've been giving him water from a dropper the vet said to bathe him more often and even though he doesn't drink in the bath he absorbes it through his skin or something which I've heard a lot of different info regarding that lol she didn't say anything about cleaning the enclosure during the treatment but I have f10sc I also have a fogger would it be a good idea to use that to disinfect the enclosure while I have toothless out exploring?
I asked about probiotics and she said not much is known about their gut flora and he shouldn't need it. Do you guys have a brand you recommend for a probiotic?
He was a big hit at the vet everyone wanted a picture of him in his little wing harness which was cute but makes me think they probably don't get many reptiles lol so the search continues for a reptile vet I like but I'm really glad he is getting treatment and hopefully he will get his appetite back soon. I'll look into posting some pictures soon

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
106944-7024121871.jpg
106944-1384706772.jpg
This is an old picture of the tank I've redecorated inside since then but the lighting has stayed the same Arcadia d12 and zoo med 100watt ( Im going to try the 75 watt as the weather is getting hotter) and a che on the right that only comes on if the temp drops below 65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom