"No animal will starve itself".... but mine will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo0

Hatchling Member
So you know how many of us tend to deal with very stubborn beardies when it comes to feeding them? Specifically vegetables? Time and time again, I've been told "eventually he'll cave in, no animal will starve themselves when there's food around"....

Except, my bearded dragon ACTUALLY did. -_-
If you take a look at my history, the vast majority of concerns I have were about Milo's eating habits. I just thought I was dealing with a bratty, spoiled beardie, but this year, Milo proved me wronger than ever. He had been in brumation for a little over 3 months, basically not eating anything during this time aside from a couple worms every few weeks. But basically, he was just getting water and that was it. During this time, he lost a bunch of weight which unfortunately caused some minor health problems to arise a few months later. However, here he was, basically starving, so I thought for sure he will eat what I give him. When I started waking him from brumation, he started getting back to somewhat normal. I had bought some worms just as a little treat and showed them to him, and oh man did his eyes light up. He wanted those worms bad. But no, before he could have a worm, he had to eat a few bites of greens and some roaches (since he has been refusing everything else for 2 years now). First day goes by, doesn't eat a bite of anything I give him. Yet whenever I show him a glimpse of a worm, he just brightens up instantly.

So here's the thing. I had a starving bearded dragon on my hands, who hadn't eaten anything really in 3 months. I was almost POSITIVE he would give in eventually right? Wrong. After 3 months of him not eating, I tried for an additional 3 weeks trying everything in my power to get him to eat any veggie, fruit, or roaches. Not once did he give in. I tried handfeeding, spoonfeeding, putting him in the tub of roaches... and nada. This guy would literally rather starve to death than to eat a dang salad.

After the 4th week of him still refusing to eat, I had to give in because he had lost so much weight. He instantly chowed down on like, 10 silkworms in a heart beat. I was honestly at a lost for words... do I really have THAT stubborn of a beardie that he would let himself starve to death? I really couldn't believe it.

Long story short, he can become a bit sick through this ordeal, plus just from brumating for too long. The vet was shocked to see how incredibly hard headed he was. She didn't believe me when I told her that he will physically spit out anything that isn't a worm, or would rather starve himself to death. This was my final battle with him, because I just can't risk another health scare like that. He basically just eats worms and gets no other nutrients aside from the pellets he'll sometimes eat. I feel like a failure of an owner for not nipping this in the bud earlier... but honestly, how is one supposed to fix an animal that is like this? He's been like this from the start, and I tried everything to combat it. I mean 4 weeks of me supplying food everyday for him and he continued turning his nose up to it. That isn't normal, by any means lol.

I just had to rant about that since it really continues to shock me. The only option I have to ensure he gets veggies is to force feed him through a syringe, and I just don't think I could put him through that stress everyday. I worry what health problems may arise by the lack of veggies/fruits, but I can't change it. I never thought I'd be outsmarted by a lizard, but I have been. He now lives his life on hornworms, silkworms, and butterworms and is happy as can be. His mother's wallet though isn't very happy about this set up. :lol: I truly can't believe that I have actually witnessed an animal stubborn enough that he'd rather starve than to give in. Absolutely crazy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Toothless deadset refused to eat anything for my wife while I was I hospital recently for nearly a month.

As soon I got home he got a big cuddle and scoffed down a dozen medium crickets in no time , he was one happy and hungry boy , he had his daddy back .

They are very manipulative little critters and know how to get what they want from their humans.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Many reptiles will, and do starve themselves to death. Its usually related to some sort of stressor or illness. Many, many reptiles are very delicate and any upset can shut down feeding. WC are notorious for doing it....but it can happen to captive bred easily also.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Taffer":t0as7icl said:
Rankins":t0as7icl said:
WC are notorious for doing it....but it can happen to captive bred easily also.
WC? Is that Wild caught?

I guess so.

I've found my rescues ( essentially wild caught because they were injured ) have all adapted nicely and pretty quickly to life "in captivity" , but perhaps this was because I'd already established a level of trust between them and me because they had been getting fed worms occasionally by me when I was in the yard (gardening) and saw them, and I have a habit giving the wild resident lizards the pet lizards' leftovers each day.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1b70m79r said:
Toothless deadset refused to eat anything for my wife while I was I hospital recently for nearly a month.

As soon I got home he got a big cuddle and scoffed down a dozen medium crickets in no time , he was one happy and hungry boy , he had his daddy back .

They are very manipulative little critters and know how to get what they want from their humans.

Yeah Milo sometimes refuses food as well, even worms, when someone else is caring for him. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or if he really is that hard headed. Totally agree though, they're more manipulative than I ever would've given them credit for.

And he was captive born and raised by a breeder who's been breeding her line of dragons for years so I don't think it's something genetically wired in him... because he had an amazing appetite when he was younger. He was eating salads and veggies everyday up until he hit 10 months old. Then he decided he no longer wanted anything to do with them. It's been a struggle since, but he just flat out will not accept anything unless I force feed him baby food. Which honestly, I may have to start doing a few times a week just so he gets the nutrients he lacks. Truly though, if there was an award for "Most Manipulative Bearded Dragon", I think Milo would win. :lol:

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I feel that way about it also. A lot of people do use that abbreviation for babies that were born from the mating of captive born animals.
The CB can be used as captive born from WC animals that laid eggs.
I never use the abbreviation of CBB because it is a bit redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom