Nikka's World (new fresh pics jan24!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I adopted Nikko August 20. He's just a few weeks old. 7 inches then and 7 1/2 inches as of yesterday (aug31). I waited the 2 week mark to start our own thread. Just worried I'd somehow mess up caring for him in my nervousness to do it all perfectly. :)

Nikko's Growth:
Aug20, 2011 Weight 12 grams | Total Length 7 inches
Aug31, 2011 Weight ? grams | Total Length 7 inches
Sept16, 2011 Weight 16 grams | Total Length 8 inches
Oct8, 2011 Weight 20 grams | Total Length ? inches
Oct22, 2011 Weight 28 grams | Nose to Vent 3 1/2 inches | Vent to Tail Tip 5 1/2 inches | Total Length 9 inches
Oct27, 2011 Found out he is a she and is now called Nikka instead of Nikko.. Weight 30 grams. Length is the same.
Nov14, 2011 Weight 50 grams. Total Length 10 1/2 inches.
Nov21, 2011 Weight 62 grams.
Nov30, 2011 Weight 84 grams. | Total Length 11 1/2 inches.
Dec20, 2011 Weight 140 grams. | Total Length 14 inches. Wow!!
Jan24, 2012 Weight 264 grams. Total Length 17 inches. She's almost doubled weight in a month! New pics to go with this pg10

So here is Nikka. :D

I had to document his tiny foot.

I'm a photographer part time. So I thought it would be fun to incorporate my lenses into documenting his growth. He ran to my favorite lens.

Full length view

More to come... :D

Greasy3489

Hatchling Member
zooeymama":jxwzzbl0 said:
And I just weighed him and he was 16 grams and 8 inches. Awww! I think I'll weigh him every 2 weeks or so.

Wow he is a little bigger than Drachen, you measured him from nose to tip of tail right? Nose to vent is a great measurement since tail nips can affect size.

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Greasy3489":38igm2dv said:
zooeymama":38igm2dv said:
And I just weighed him and he was 16 grams and 8 inches. Awww! I think I'll weigh him every 2 weeks or so.

Wow he is a little bigger than Drachen, you measured him from nose to tip of tail right? Nose to vent is a great measurement since tail nips can affect size.
Nose to tail. I asked on the forum a couple weeks ago if I was to measure nose to tail or nose to vent. I was told nose to tail. So I did that. His tail is approx 3 1/2 inches-ish. I can re-measure him if you want to know his nose to vent length. He also might lose about 1/4 in of his tail tip. It was like that when I bought him but the vet said it looks like it might eventually fall off. So he might lose 1/4 inch. hehe

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":2paactub said:
3.5 inches nose to tail tip?
No he is about 8 inches long from nose to tail tip. His tail is about 3 1/2 inches. Possibly a wee longer. I am really bad at guessing. But I did measure him. Like we do with babies- paper- a line for his tail and pushed his head down and a line for his nose (well sorta like babies. we don't squish their nose down haha). Boy he hates being measured.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
zooeymama":2318kgx1 said:
Beardednoob":2318kgx1 said:
3.5 inches nose to tail tip?
No he is about 8 inches long from nose to tail tip. His tail is about 3 1/2 inches. Possibly a wee longer. I am really bad at guessing. But I did measure him. Like we do with babies- paper- a line for his tail and pushed his head down and a line for his nose (well sorta like babies. we don't squish their nose down haha). Boy he hates being measured.

They all fight this in general lol
With mine I use a tape measure that has the increments on both sides, I place the tape measure upside down this way there is a stop for the nose and it doesn't curve up toward the dragons body. Two people also help LOL :wink:

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dubia's a HUGE hit with Nikko! Oh my goodness. His foot has been owie since Sept 9 and he had been eating ok until I started Baytril a few days ago. His appetite tanked. He was eating less than 6 crickets a day. One day he had 5. :( Today was an ok day. He had 2 for breakfast, 4 at lunch and for supper my Dubias had arrived so I offered them. Normally he rejects ANYthing but crickets. He won't eat worms. At all. I accidentally bought some pinheads (crickets) and he won't eat them (too small, picky guy). But I put the small Dubias in his tank and he ate 8 right away. And frankly it was downright cute. They are much less 'ugly' looking than crickets I have to say. And they don't smell at all. Yay! With the way he eats I'll have to start my own colony. :D Yay!! Bye bye stinky nasty stinky ick crickets! :blob5: :blob8:

jewl495

Juvie Member
zooeymama":39v0wrny said:
Yes and I'm slightly obsessed with it. I figured if I kept to one thread I'll annoy people less with all the pictures. :D

I don't think it will annoy anyone! I love looking at pics of all the beardies. He's so beautiful, reminds me of our Jazz when he was little.

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
New pics of my Nikko Nik. His foot looks so bad. :( Poor wee thing. But he remains ever so sweet. Forgive the edits. I am a photographer by trade and sometimes I can't help myself playing with edits. :)

One image of his owie. :( The poke is from the vet taking a sample to view the liquid in his foot.

Nikko giving me the 'eye'. :D Get it over with woman! See the berry stain by his eye? I tried to offer him blackberry with his greens. He wouldn't eat the berry. I came back a couple hours later to say hi and saw he had berry stained lips and eye. :p Someone liked the berries but tried very hard not to show it. ;)

Front facing pics crack me up. Reminds me of a guy with his jaw set in stubborness. :D

Although his foot looks horrible today. He did eat 6 crickets and 8 dubias (man he loved those things) so yay that his appetite got better right? :)

Thanks for peeking!

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":w34r7mf3 said:
I am sorry I missed it, what happened to his foot?
Here's a link I posted the other day.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=156200

He hurt his foot back around Sept9. I am not sure how he hurt it. He's a climber and jumper. It's possible he jumped from his jungle gym- I've seen it several times. But he no longer had sand as substrate but he had tile. Maybe he wasn't expecting that? I don't know. :(

Greasy3489

Hatchling Member
Sounds like Nik is doing better, glad he likes the Dubias. Between the two of them Treven and Drachen are eating 70+ reptiworms a day...gotta figure out how to breed these lol.

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After dropping Baytril- his appetite has improved. He also seems to really love Dubias. Like...a lot. :D So I no longer offer crickets just the Dubias. I have been feeding 3 times a day right now. That has also increased his food intake. He eats between 3-5 small Dubias per meal, 3 times a day. These range in size but are about a good 1/2 inch length usually. I am going to start offering butterworms (thus far he has rejected worms of any kind ugh)- I hope he likes them. I want to offer just a couple a day though. Just to keep his diet varied. Dusting Dubias kinda sucks tho. The calcium doesn't seem to stick well.

For veggies he likes arugula (offered infrequently but he really likes it) and dandelion greens. Occasionally he will collards but he doesn't seem fond of mustard greens still. He likes berries when I offer them (fruit is offered only a couple times a week).

His foot is better or worse? I cannot tell. BUT he is now basking (before he was laying, like a dog would with head down) now he is back to head up, being fairly active, eating decent and looking rather chipper overall.

Now some peektures of my guy. :)

a little window basking. (monitoring heat temps with therm - don't worry. heat lamp is off too.) uvb is right over him though. :D

some window shopping? he likes to watch the hummingbirds come sip on some of the flowers outside the window. you can see his owie there. he does use the leg tho and seems to be favoring it less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom