Nighttime Incandescent Heat Bulb at night? weird behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshD

During a recent trip to the petstore, I saw a night time bulb and decided to ask about it. (assuming the reptile employee had some knowledge) I asked if the blue night bulb is a good option since my room does get colder than 70° most nights. They assured me it was good and would keep my beardie warm at night so she will not be sluggish in the mornings. I got a pretty good deal on a small dome and the store brand bulb, so I decided to try it out. My beardie is in a 40gal glass tank, with a screen lid, and I usually keep the night time bulb in the middle. The tank thermometer will read about 70° or a little above at night with the bulb. I am just worried that it may be disturbing her? The lamp has a dimmer and I usually don't turn it up all the way, and the light is purple and barely visible to me. lately she has been hiding behind her tree in the corner for most of the day and not basking as much, but her response to food is still fine and she eats her roaches everyday. She has also only been wanting to go to the bathroom when I give her a bath which is weird. I also tonight started covering half her tank with a towel to make it darker in there since I watch tv and have a lamp on sometimes. Her lights are on a 12 hr timer and always have been. I know a ceramic bulb is better but it was just a little too expensive right now, If anyone has some knowledge on these bulbs or behavior I'd love to hear your opinions . Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Practically all colored bulbs will disturb their sleep cycle. A heating pad would be better if you have one, instead of the purple bulb. Just be sure it's on low & there is a towel in between her & the pad.
She may not be sleeping as soundly as before which could affect her during the day & making her not want to bask as much, either.
I am glad her appetite is still good right now.

Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You shouldn't need a night time heat source unless the temps in your house drop below 65° at night, at that point is when you need a CHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom