Nightcrawlers for babies/adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSixSided

Hey guys, I am about to purchase a bearded dragon. I previously owned a pacman frog who mostly ate crickets/nightcrawlers. I'm very interested in beardies, but I read on a care sheet that the babies eat up to 50 crickets a day! I was wondering if anyone has instead of feeding crickets, fed them nightcrawlers instead?, I've seen people complain about parasites or something, but on FrogForum A LOT of people have used them for years with their pets and have never had a single issue including myself, plus everyone on there says they are a much more balanced and nutritious diet, so I can't imagine why I'm having a hard time finding information on this. I'm talking about the big ones bought from wal-mart, not a bait shop, not red dyed worms, etc. And don't try and tell me they are high in fat, parasites, etc. They have the lowest fat out of every insect, as well as ample calcium, protein and other nutrients. So if someone has a genuine explanation as to why they are bad for beardies before just saying not to feed them, please let me know. Here is the article of the nutritional value. http://nagonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/NAG-FS003-97-Insects-JONI-FEB-24-2002-MODIFIED.pdf

I will still use crickets, but probably only 20-40 a week, but I really don't want to house crickets anymore. If there is something similiar that don't break the bank, and can be kept in the fridge, please let me know.

Thanks for the future help guys!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've read that some dragons don't like them, maybe the texture/slime - that might have been red wigglers not night crawlers. I would be concerned about the source (I don't know much about commercial worm farms), but if you are confident in the quality (or rear your own) I wouldnt see a problem. I have also read speculation that some level of chitin/shell it good for dental health and digestion. Other than that, as far as I can tell, it's more of a "better safe than sorry" mentality regarding any feeder insects.

The other refridgeratable insects are not very healthy/nutritious. If you are open to roaches they are easy and self sustaining after initial investment. ;)

My vet just recommended we switch to worms. She said they have a perfect ratio of nutrition for beardies, are are low fat. (Zoi is a little on the chubby side :oops: ) She told us to roll them in dry food crumbs if Zoi has trouble with them being slimey.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I have no "genuine explanation," but I would never feed them to my dragons, rolled in crumbs or otherwise.

rankoepjr

My local pet store sells them and I tried them once for my Dovah. He ate a few, but the rest ended up being bird food. The nutrition list for them is sound (high protein content especially great for growing juveniles), though I suppose it is up to the source of the worms and the dragon itself if it is a good option. I'll stick to crickets, roaches, phoenix worms, and occasionally wax worms. Though I do want to get some silk worms or tomato worms at some point and let Dovah at them. Whether your dragon likes them or not, there are always more options :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom