Nico will not eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Nico is driving me crazy! He hasn't eaten in weeks! I've tried superworms, crickets, and now hornworms. Nico is a leopard gecko, approximately two years old, and he seems to be otherwise healthy. His is shedding regularly and alert. Is this a common occurrence with leos? What could be the problem? I've had him since he was a tiny baby and he has never been so picky with his food. He just flicks his tongue at the worm and turns away as if he is completely disgusted. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Both of my leos eat roaches instead of worms or crix. Has he pood lately ? If not I would take him in for an examination to your vet !
Janie.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Both of my adult geckos did this at the same time recently. I had tried butterworms and they both ate them just like every thing else so I got a lot more. After a while, neither of them would eat, and that was the only food I had in the house. They just looked at it, maybe licked it, and left.

I used to feed them mealworms and other worms as a treat, so I went back to mealies and they are both eating perfectly healthy again. It was weird how they both did not like them. But, unlike yours, it was only butterworms. They love all other worms.

And I thought they would eat anything! :roll:

I have a few questions:
Is your gecko male or female?
Does it appear to be shedding soon?
Are you sure it is not just a picky gecko?
Are you sure it is healthy?

Sara

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for responding...

Zebraflavencs...I wouldn't mind trying roaches, but in my household, that is out of the question. And yes, he has pood...kind of. Just the white urates though.

Frog...
Is your gecko male or female? Male
Does it appear to be shedding soon? He seems to shed fairly regularly....every few weeks I think. I should start keeping a schedule of these things.
Are you sure it is not just a picky gecko? He has gone through phases like this before...just like my beardies does occasionally. But usually I just switch food and he eats again...but not this time.
Are you sure it is healthy? No, I guess I'm not sure.

I just don't know what could be wrong. He has plenty of hiding places, (a cold, warm, and damp hide) under tank heater, calcium and water dish. It should be warm enough for him. I can't figure it out. I guess I'll have to take him to the vet, but I just thought I'd see what the people on this forum though first. I always hate trips to the vet... stressful and expensive :roll: And I'd hate it if the vet doesn't know what's wrong.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Well if he has done this before, I would just give him time and see if he starts eating. If he doesnt eat for a long enough time for serious concern, though, its a trip to the vet with you!!

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom