Newly rescued beardie - have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":de15d said:
I bathe Lilly every other day. Some people do it every day (especially if their dragon is trained to "go" in the bath) while others think it only needs to be done once a week. As for her growth, I really don't know. They don't grow much after 18 months usually. You might keep her on a juvenile diet: 80% protein and 20% veggies for a little longer, but I may be wrong.
Sara

Thanks - Luckily Leela ate more crickets today; she couldn't get enough! I was starting to worry, since she essentially ate nothing Sunday and Monday.

I'm planning a trip to the pet store to get a different source of protein for her - any suggestions as to what kind of worms would be best to try out?

If she doesn't grow in length, I suppose we can resign ourselves to that fact. But she needs to gain weight since she is way too thin. At this point, considering what she has been through in the past and the fact that she managed to live gives us a lot of hope, and I am grateful she is with us now.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Good luck with worms at the pet store! I have to order mine at http://www.mulberryfarms.com. The only good worms are superworms (some people say for dragons 16" and older only; I give Lilly VERY small ones 3/4" maximum), silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms, and butterworms (Lilly has issues digesting these- just putting that out there). The only ones you might even be able to find are supers, but the supers we buy at the pet store are too big for Lilly. We have to order hers from mulberry. Pet stores usually only carry earthworms (I don't trust them, I think they are too germy), mealworms (hard chitin shell which is very difficult to digest), and waxworms (can be fed as a TREAT, but are very fatty). I ordered roaches to try with our two and depending on if they like them plan to start a colony.
Sara

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Sara - I know that Pet Smart has a wider selection than the other stores around here. So if they have what we need, great. If not, I will definitely go to that site.

Yeah, my main concern was over size, since she is small for her age and I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of nasty creepy crawlies that she won't or can't eat.

For the record, I will not be handling or looking at them - they make me sick; even thinking about them makes me feel faint...but that's one of the many reasons having a 16 year old son comes in handy! :lol:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hehe they aren't that bad once you get used to them. Dealing with the bugs was much easier than dealing with poop for me! I hope your pet smart carries more, ours only carries the above mentioned typical worms. If you find you have bugs she won't eat, post on here in the "for free" section and someone will pay for shipping to take them off you I bet.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom