Newbie with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenova

Hi, I've just joined as I have a question.
I've had my beardie, Genghis, for over a year now and he was about a year old when I got him from a friend who had to move house. He's currently in a 4 foot vivarium which I have done up myself and am very proud of. It has loads of branches and roots and some rocks (away from the heat lamps). Lately he's become very fussy with his food. He's stopped eating spring greens (or collard greens for people in America) and any sort of veg. Sometimes I can get him to eat apple, but he's basically just on live food.

I usually to feed him locust once a week, but they're fairly slow and easy for him to catch. So last week I got him some crickets as a bit of a challenge, I though with them being a lot faster it would make his life more interesting. He caught and ate most of them but there are still at least seven left in his vivarium. I know this can be a little dangerous as they can actually bite him. They have made a home behind one of the rocks in there and I can hear them chirping away. The thing is they do come out from behind the rock to sit under the heat lamp and I've been putting food in there for the crickets which they're eating. But he can't catch them. The only way I can think to get them out myself is to kill them by feeding them supermarket veg which always has pesticides on, but I'd rather he ate them. It's not for lack of trying, but I think he's a bit stupid.

He puts his back legs on an almost vertical root in the viv and scratches at the window, then he stops and takes his front feet away, only to fall head first into the sand! When he catches his food he's always just jumping into the walls or just falling. I'm a little worried about him. Are all beardies like this?

well first of all TAKE THE CRICKETS OUT OF THE TANK!!!! anything live left uneaten SHOULD be taken out! you should not be feeding them in his tank. this is totally wrong. take them out and keep them else where.
He's off balance, either he has an ear infection or something in his brain is going wrong. this can be FATAL!
You really NEED to take him to the vets, even an ear infection can be fatal to your BD and kill him.
Don't put it off. :( good luck

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I am sorry but, I couldn't come straight to that conclusion from your post. How could you be sure he is off balance because he falls from an odd position. I would start by removing the sand. People have got that wrong then from one person to another has some people thinking sand is a natural substrate, I have asked questions on this and it is always a controversial topic. But, people who study them in their natural habitat state they have more of a clay type substrate. Sand can cause impaction, is unsanitary ect. How often do you give your beardie a bath? Does it have water in it's tank? What are the humidity levels reading? Do you dust the food you give him? What are the temperatures in the tank basking and cool side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom