Newbie to owning a dragon.... he puked this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela89

We just got a dragon on Sunday and have been doing as much reading up on them as we can. Yesterday he ate about 10 crickets and today he puked up a ton. He is pooping normal but is not eating. We checked his temp in his cage and the basking side is 106 and the other side is in the the 80s. He has pretty much just been hanging out in one spot and I am worried something is wrong. Can any of you give me ideas on what I can do for him/her?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Angela, sometimes vomiting is a sign of a certain illness but sometimes it's eating too much, too large a bug or eating too late. What exact size were the cricks, be specific or even post a pic of one next to a dime or penny. How big is your dragon ? The insects should be no longer than the space bwteen his eyes, otherwise they can be too hard to digest. Post pics of the dragon + the cricket size....here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

They can also vomit if they eat too late and/or spend too much time out of the tank being handled when they need to be in the heat of the tank for 2-3 hours to digest the food.

He'll prob. be fine, but offer water with a syringe or spray bottle on his snout.

Angela89

Original Poster
His crickets are small size as per the box my husband bought at the pet store. I will try to figure out how to posts a pic. We have a sticky therm. And we also have a digital one. We checked today to be sure his basking heat was good. Let me see if I can load pics

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The crix are the right size, so that wasn't the problem. What time did he eat last night, and did you handle him aftewards ? He looks very alert + healthy there as well as a cutie. :)

Angela89

Original Poster
He ate in the afternoon....about 6 crickets and then he ate a couple at 4:30ish. He was handled after his first major feeding but then was left alone after 4:30. We got home around 10 that night and his lights were still on bc someone flicked the switch that auto trunes them off for the night. He did not end up eating any crickets today but tried a small bite of banana. He slept a good amount today/ spent his time laying around with one eye opened and one eye closed. He did seem better this evening. He has continuous water in his cage too. Thank you for the replays and help!!

Angela89

Original Poster
We love him/her so much already we just want to make sure we are doing everything right. I also have another question! How do you know if it's a boy or girl? When we bought him they said they could not tell us the sex yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom