Newbie question so please bear with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christinemac

Good morning,
I have a five year old beardie named Spike. Yes I know very creative. My class of grade 2 students named him when I first got home. Anyways, he is in a pretty big tank right now which is about 100G. I'd like to get him a larger tank. He is kinda lazy so isn't hugely active but then I've nothing to compare with. He climbs but not much. So my questions are as follows- does his new habitat need to be wide and squat or can it be wide and tall with lots of climbing in it? Do they need a dripper for their water so they get enough water? He gets baths once a week and daily showers? Too much? Finally where do I find a larger tank? Everywhere I look have lovely 40 G tanks but never many bigger than that. One that I dont need to sign away my first born to buy either. If someone can point me in a direction of where I can find some ideas for this and possibly answer some of my questions I would be deeply appreciative. Thank you

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hi - look at Zen Habitats and see what you think. They're 4'x2'x2', which gives you room for things to climb, hides, soft snuggle spots, and some open areas to run in. :0)

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
102730-3042639629.jpg
JumpinJellyfish":2ot5mbyg said:
Hi - look at Zen Habitats and see what you think. They're 4'x2'x2', which gives you room for things to climb, hides, soft snuggle spots, and some open areas to run in. :0)
That's a picture of Norbert and his setup. I bought the pvc one and the plain stand, and added a 12"high aluminum dunnage rack from the webstaurantstore online to the bottom to make it the height I want. :0)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Christinemac":33ol8d6u said:
'd like to get him a larger tank. He is kinda lazy so isn't hugely active but then I've nothing to compare with. He climbs but not much. So my questions are as follows- does his new habitat need to be wide and squat or can it be wide and tall with lots of climbing in it?
According to Excerpted from master's thesis: Classroom Reptiles: A teacher's guide to their selection and care in the schoolroom (an article I like very much, and IMO worth the read) the minimum ideal size (coincidentally) comes out to 48" x 24" x 24". There's a lot out there, depending on your budget. In addition to the aforementioned Zen Habitats (and trying to stay in that ballpark), Critter Condo (also available w/ white interior), Animal Plastics, and if you can assemble a kit, you can save about $100, but have to supply your own glass (they'll give you the dimensions) and finish Talking Serpents. Of course there are many more; these are just some I had links for. If DIY is a possibility, research Crossfire Enclosure in the archives and on the web.

Do they need a dripper for their water so they get enough water? He gets baths once a week and daily showers? Too much?
No dripper required. They should get all the water they need from their diet. These guys live in extremely arid conditions, and excrete urates instead of urine. I give no water to my dragon whatsoever, he rarely gets baths unless having a difficult shed, and he still excretes significant amounts of water from the bugs & greens/veggies he eats.

I wouldn't say weekly baths are too much, but I'd say not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom