Newbie... Please be gentle with me. NOW WITH PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyk

Original Poster
Thanks again for your replies. I went to a different shop today and told them my predicament........ They sold me some smaller crickets, mini meal worm, calcium + D3 dusting powder and a better substrate. Hopefully with your collective advice I can get them back on track. They had a feast of mini meal worms and a nice bath tonight, worn out they have gone to sleep!
A couple of pics of there amended viv....

All cleaned out
009-1.jpg

New substrate in which is a very fine sand, the pet shop owner/breeder insisted it will be OK. They have never lost any BD's using it.
010-1.jpg

Waiting for there new den to turn up from eBay
011-1.jpg

AndyT

Juvie Member
Nice viv. Pet shop owners are liars. hint hint. If you want sand, you can use sand, but all sand can cause impaction and poses risks. As do mealworms, no matter how mini. Don't let me ruin this happy occasion with my negativeness. That viv looks really nice! Good luck!

Andy

sammyk

Original Poster
Oh, still not good! If it isn't right it wont do!! I will have to change again. The substrate is no problem to change, but I just can't get them to eat crickets, of any size. They refuse and go up their tree, as soon as the mealworms are in they almost jump out the tree and eat like mad!
:cry: :angry5:

AndyT

Juvie Member
Alright just make sure that they're pooping and make sure that there aren't any mealworm parts in the poop. As for the substrate viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151 - I like that post, its really good. Have you got all your temps right, etc?

Andy

Jess

Extreme Poster
I fed mini mealies when I had a baby beardie, and they are fine... Theyre actually a different species than regular mealies, and they have a little less shell. Dont use them as a staple, but in addition to another healthier bug (Phoenix worms are great staples, if they are into worms) they wont hurt your beardies.
I agree, ditch the sand. Tile and non-adhesive shelf liner are great substrates.

BTW... You shouldnt be keeping them together, even as babies. The dominant one will eat the most, get the best basking spots, and eventually outgrow the other one. Ive heard of a few cases where the dominant beardie actually ate the smaller one! They arent social creatures, and dont need or want a "friend".

sammyk

Original Poster
AndyT":1tpzrf6u said:
Alright just make sure that they're pooping and make sure that there aren't any mealworm parts in the poop. As for the substrate viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151 - I like that post, its really good. Have you got all your temps right, etc?

Andy
OK, the sand is to go...... As for temps, I run the basking area @ 104 F on the lamp and turn it down to about 80 F during the night on the ceramic. They both like to lounge on there slab and soak it up, do these temps sound ok? I have asked many people and this is what I am told is best. Can anyone tell how old they are roughly? They are both about 7 inches at mo, 3-4 inches head to bum, ish,.,.,.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Ok the basking temp sounds good. The CHE isn't necessary unless the temps drop below 65 degrees at night... I have no idea on age, I'm not even sure how old my guy is... I'm glad you're switching the sand, better safe than sorry.

Andy

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Your temps sound good. You're right in range now for daytime though like Andy said you don't need the CHE unless it's to drop below 65*. They are cold blooded and require cooler temps when sleeping. :wink:

Rough guess... by size...could be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months just depends on the genetic's and care they have gotten thus far. I have a clutch of babies right now and the majority of them were 7'' by 3 to 4 weeks one of them though is much smaller and wasn't 7" until about 5 weeks. Though pet store babies tend to be smaller than homegrown babies. I recieved Roux from another reputible breeder Tom(TNDdragons) and she was 6.25" at 4 weeks and has grown on an average of 2+ inches per month. Now 5 months and 16"+.

There is this sizing chart that you could compare to... http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Growth.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom