Newbie needs help! Substrate, lights. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtitran

Okay, here's the scoop! Sparky is about 6 months old and about 8 in. (including tail of course) long.

(1) I talked to the people at the pet store and they said to get the Calci-sand (but after reading here I know I need to switch -- probably will go with the ceramic or slate tile?)

(2) We got him a 50 gallon tank so he'd have plenty of room and I thought that way I wouldn't have to switch him and change his environment (and upset him). There's a hammock, half log/tunnel, large piece of driftwood, and this stone-like mini mountain that he likes a lot (probably because it holds heat).

(3) We feed him 10-15 sm crickets, some collard greens or kale, and about 2-3 mealworms each day. He eats well and seems ravenous. Sometimes i wonder if I am giving him enough. I place the cricket keeper about 3 feet away from his viv when I am about to feed him and he goes CRAZY jumping at the glass toward the crickets!

(4) This is where I have the most questions. The pet store only told me to buy the heat light and the UV light, so that's what I did. I do have the thermometer on the warm/hot side and it is between 90-105 during the day. There's a heat pad stuck to the underside of the glass viv and on that same side/left I have a 75 watt and also a 160w heat lights to keep that side warm. Toward the center/right side of the viv is a regular 60w bulb and a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb. Sparky seems pretty comfy wit the temp and he is sometime hanging around in his hammock on the "hot" side or in the very center where it may be just how he likes it. He isn't often on the cool side unless he is eating his greens.

So, here's the main question about lights: Do you ever have it completely dark? If so, how do they stay warm enough. I have a red bulb that I got from the person I got the 50 gal viv from (the gave me a bunch of leftover stuff they didn't need anymore). I heard there are blue and red lights. What's the difference/purpose of these? Should I be using one or both? If so, when/how? Sorry I have so many questions, but I just want him to be comfy, healthy, and safe in his home. Plus, maybe we can handle him more if he is happier???

(5) What if he bites me? I am guessing it won't draw blood....or will it? Do I need to worry about any specific disease from being bitten (I hope that NEVER happens!)? He doesn't like to be picked up any more. He was great for the first 2 weeks, but has become quicker and skittish. I have only been able to pick him up once in the last week and it took a while for that to happen.

Any and all advice is welcome! Thanks and sorry for the super long post. I am just pleased and relieved to have a group of people knowledgeable enough to ask such questions. I will await your replies :lol:

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
You should let them eat as many crickets as they want in 10 minutes like 2 or 3 times a day. The crickets should be no bigger than the space between their eyes. Mealworms aren't very good, very little nutrition and the shells are hard to digest and could cause problems.

Make sure you take your temps with a digital thermometer with a probe or a tempgun. You can get an acurite at walmart for $12. Those stick on types can be off by as much as 20 degrees. There is no need for an under tank heater. they're not too good at sensing heat from below and they could burn themselves. The cool side needs to be like in the low 80's, basking spot 100-110. the recommended uv bulb is the repti-sun 10.0 tube and they need to be able to get within 6-8 inches of it. The coils have been known to cause problems. That's an awful lot of bulbs for heat. So I would really double check your temps with something more accurate. The heat bulbs should be bright white light. They need that type of light to see properly. They don't need anything for nighttime unless it gets below 65F. all those colored bulbs disturb their sleep. and they need the cooler temps to regulate their metabolism.

Bites from little ones don't hurt that much. It just stings a bit, like a bad papercut. just treat it like any other wound.

Settling down just takes time and patience. Not only do you have to worry about building trust, but also they're naturally curious animals that like to explore. keep at it, and keep in mind that it's still a baby, and it's going to act like one. don't worry if they will only sit on you for a few minutes at first. try and pet them when your doing stuff in the tank. you can leave a worn shirt for them to sleep on so they get used to your scent. they tend to be less squirmy when they're tired, so right before bedtime you might have better luck.

wtitran

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info! We will switch out the 5.0 UV for a 10.0 and my husband said he'd cut out part of the screen top so it is not blocking any of the rays from getting to him. He's definitely within 6-8 in. if he is dirctly below it so that's good.

I am so afraid of being bitten, but am very calm about him. Since he has been skittish, I only try to touch/hold him when the kids are not home or are sleeping (the are 8 and 3 yrs old and so loud and excited all the time). Sparky used to let my 8 yr old hold him with no problem, but now it has been almost 2 weeks since he's been able to. I held him a couple days ago, but it took me about 10 minutes to be able to pick him up. I start of talking to him, then place my hand next to him (about a couple inches away) and then try to slowly pet him. Tonight I tried that and he jumped backwards and I tried so hard not to get scared, but it startles me and then my hand jerks back by reflex and then he gets more scared. :cry: I not only need to socialize him, but bathe him, etc. so I get worried that I can't pick him up.

I will take your advice and also be switching to slate tile with contact paper underneath. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom