Newbie looking for some advice (Now she passed away)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubah

Original Poster
So, update... Sadly, she had a seizure and passed away. Vet had 2 ideas, 1 was not enough UVB/UVA, so we brought her outside, she came to life a little, but she didn't want to eat. Sadly, she then pooped and doctor found some issues with her poop, there were spots of blood in it, something she had never done before, doc took her to his facility for an hour, and sadly she had a seizure and passed away.

Doc did an autopsy and his second idea was confirmed, she had some kind of cancer in her, it was pushing up against the stomach, causing her to not eat because she felt full. Sadly, she is gone now, and I'm glad I did all I could for her. He said some of her bloodwork came back abnormal, which he also said could have been a result of atadenovirus, but after she passed he did another round of bloodwork that came back negative. So he thinks she pretty much starved herself to death without realizing that she wasn't doing that.

So, now that I know I did not cause this I am relieved, but saddened for the beardie. Glad I was at least able to make part of her life comfortable, and might get another one soon. Although I may stay away from petsmart this time. The vet told me that was a bad place to buy because atadenovirus can travel into there without any problems and the employees would never know about it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sad to hear this. At least she is at peace and not suffering any longer. It was certainly not your fault and you did a fantastic job getting her the proper care. Unfortunately cancer seems to be relatively common in dragons recently and there isn't much we can do about it (yet). Thank you for giving her a good life.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I am so sorry she passed away.... I KNOW you did everything in your power to help and try to save her. She's no longer suffering now.

Please don't beat yourself up with those whatifs ? They have a real knack of getting you to really love them (even the naughty ones and the ones who aren't keen on being handled).

A friend of mine lost her beardie and the necropsy revealed a cancer on the stomach, she was told this is quite a common cause of death in beardies who come from highly inbred parents but very rare in wild bearded dragons though because their high genetic diversity, very strong immune systems and the fact that the weak are soon eaten.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I am so sorry to hear you lost your young dragon to cancer! :cry: You did very well in helping her through the worst times & know that she felt loved & comforted, too.
Cancer is becoming more common due to our environment & atmosphere being so contaminated, thus the reason humans are getting cancer more, too.
I am truly sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom