Newbie- Is this enclosure size ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mildew

Hello everyone!
I'm picking up my first bearded dragon this weekend, and just want to make sure the enclosure size is right. I also have a question about UVB lighting.

The enclosure I currently have is 5(long) x 2.5(wide) x 3 feet(tall)- in feet. Is this size ok for an adult?

Also about UVB, I still need to get the tube light, but am not sure how large of one I should get. Would a 2 foot light be ok if I provide additional supplemental lighting (basking bulb and fluorescent lighting) or should I go with a longer light?

Also, not related to enclosures, but is there a list somewhere on this site of foods NOT to feed a BD? It's such a large site with lots of great information that it's hard to find something specific :).

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
That size would be wonderful!
Given the height I would get a T5 fixture with reflector, and 22" would work but 36" might be good given the length of your tank (1/2-2/3 is the rule of thumb). You might need more than one basking light for it, but that just gives your dragon more options :) You could also use a Mercury Vapor or metal halide bulb for added UVA.

Most people refer to the beautifuldragons.com site, though there are many lists out there I don't think there is one hosted here.

Mildew

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice :).
If I order something today, it probably won't arrive for a week or so. Will he be ok without UVB for a short period of time, or should I try to find a bulb locally. I find the stores here don't carry the best quality reptile supplies and they are ridiculously overpriced.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If it's an older dragon he should be ok, a baby would be good to get uv sooner than later. I think 1-2 weeks max is as long as you would want to go with a little guy. If it's nice where you live you can use real sunshine but for many of us that just a dream this time of year.

Not sure where you are or what stores you are looking at, but I get my stuff from Amazon, they have a quick turn around.

Mildew

Original Poster
The owner said it's 1 1/2 years old. Was planning to buy something off amazon, so I guess I could pay extra for a rush order :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom