Newbie! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncdirtysouth

A few years ago I fell in love with beardies when I got to hold one at a reptile show. I'm thinking about getting one, and have been reading up on care, but, really, I have no clue where to start as far as buying, cost and setup. Any suggestions on getting started?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Glad to see your doing your homework first!Thats the first step to a very healthy beardie.The first thing I would do before getting a beardie is consider whether or not you want a baby,juvie or an adult.This is very important because the intensity of care required for them varies greatly.A baby is the most difficulty.They require enormous amounts of time and money.They need to be fed live feeders anywhere from 50-100crix per day over 3 feedings a day.They also require more time with handling and attention to ensure you have a friendly calm pet.Juvies still eat quite alot,they are however a little hardier and easier to handle and the easiest of the three is an adult.They require 25-50 feeders a week coupled with a fresh salad daily(all require salad daily).The downside to getting adults is their health is based on the care they recieved in their previous home so you do have to be careful that you know exactly what you are getting.All of the above require at least annual vet visit as well as vet care if they become ill.
Now as far as set up here are the basics that you need:
Large Tank(40 breeder or bigger is the minimum)
Solid substrate like ceramic tile,repticarpet,papertowel,non adhesive shelf liner.
UVB lighting and its improtant that it be specific:Reptisun 10.0 LINEAR is the best uv flourescent.
Do not use coil,compact bulbs or desert series uv or the reptiglo 10.0 all of these are problematic at best OR you can go with an MVB bulb which emits heat and uvb at once.The 3 best of these are the Megaray,TRex Active Heat or Powersun.I recommend the 100watt unless you have a very BIG tank.
You will need a basking light also (any bright white household bulb will do the trick)
Digital Thermometer with a probe or an Infared Temp Gun to measure temps(stick on and dials dont work well)
Furniture,logs,food bowels.
Feeder Insects(no mealworms)
Fresh veggies:http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Vitamins are must:Repcal phosphorous free calcium and Heprtivite Multivitamin
I recommend you have the tank set up for a few days before getting your beardie so you can get your temps correct and make for a smooth transition.As for temps what you are looking for is a basking spot surface temp of 95f-110f and a cool end air temp of 75-80F.The distance required from the uvb is going to vary based on which uvb you use for your beardie.
Hope this is a good start for you I would also read up on the articles and care sheets as well so you have a really well rounded idea of exactly what you need to look for.
A few last tips:
Dont believe everything the pet store or breeder tells you.They temd to sell you stuff you cant use and you end up spending twice the money.
Beardies SHOULD NOT be housed together no matter what the tell you only one per tank.
They are a wonderful pet and will bring you alot of smiles.
They are very addictive and be prepared to own more then one :wink:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello & Welcome to BD.org! :D
Good for you for doing your homework first. Vicky has given you a good start on information.
The best I can say is read...read...read. :study: The Care Sheets & Article link at the top of the
page is a great place to start. I've also found these links to be helpful when it comes to feeding.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
http://www.feedersinc.com/insect-comparison/

Also if you are looking into a certain topic you can use the google tool at the top right of page to find older threads/posts that alot of the time are very useful. :wink:

Again Welcome Aboard! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom