newbie bearded owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone
Newbie here Not sure If I'm posting in the right spot just got a beardie, she/he don't know the sex about a week ago I call her Lizzy. She is 14 1/2" from head to tail and so sweet.... She looks really skinny to me. Brought some Giant Meal worm's for her that's her favorite, eats about 10 a day. MY QUESTION Why she is not eating her greens? She loves oranges. (Hand feed) How do you get her to eat her greens I have read up on beardie. And that is 80% of there diet. Fruits and veggies I have try kale, collard greens, parsley Turns her nose at them all. Should I take away the worms???? and Cricket's she has cricket's as well...

Please help
Thanks in advance anyone, just really concerned. She is so skinny......Is she really old? How can you tell the age? She/he is such a sweetheart just want the best for lizzy/ziggy
qs5cgi.jpg

fiver643

Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried hand feeding her the greens? I have read some post on here where people take away worms and crickets from their bd's. I would think that they would eat the greens before they starve. But I'm no expert.

DesertHummingbird

Original Poster
Hi Fiver643

Thanks for the reply, :D yes have tryed that, can't seeing taking away something I know she is eating. I won't see her staving, by taking away the worms ck's she is skinny. So at least she is eating the worms. I will keep trying to hand feed her them.
thanks for the reply again.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
What kind of greens are you feeding? Also, mealworms are not the best feeder for them at all.. they have a hard extroskeleton that is hard to digest. Superworms, are better as their shell is not as hard.. Also, Reptiworms are a great staple too. Do you dust your feeders with calcium?

Here is a great list for greens and feeders that can be used as a staple food, and what can be used as a treat:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

DesertHummingbird

Original Poster
lauraj1055":1haxq7xs said:
What kind of greens are you feeding? Also, mealworms are not the best feeder for them at all.. they have a hard extroskeleton that is hard to digest. Superworms, are better as their shell is not as hard.. Also, Reptiworms are a great staple too. Do you dust your feeders with calcium?

Here is a great list for greens and feeders that can be used as a staple food, and what can be used as a treat:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Hi Lauraj1055 Thanks for the reply.. :D
Fruits and veggies I have try kale, collard greens, parsley Turns her nose at them all. Fruits Kiwi, grapes Peaches, watermelon, did take a piece of watermelon. Loves oranges which I just read are bad for them :shock: wow didn't know mealworms were bad for them yes I do dust them not every time I read every 2 week? I will look into the 2 worms you just mentioned. Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
DesertHummingbird":1ou4agbk said:
Hi Lauraj1055 Thanks for the reply.. :D
Fruits and veggies I have try kale, collard greens, parsley Turns her nose at them all. Fruits Kiwi, grapes Peaches, watermelon, did take a piece of watermelon. Loves oranges which I just read are bad for them :shock: wow didn't know mealworms were bad for them yes I do dust them not every time I read every 2 week? I will look into the 2 worms you just mentioned. Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

Yeah, oranges are very acidy and not good for them.. maybe try canteloupe? maybe it's the orange color that attracts your beardie? yeah, mealworms are one of the worse feeders... There is not nutritional value in them. As someone once said, it's like eating a twinkie in the wrapper...

Here's a good nutrition chart for feeders too:

http://www.elliotsbutterworms.com/nutrition.htm

DesertHummingbird

Original Poster
kf3976.jpg

Hi Everyone thank's for all your help lizzy is doing great and has so much more color. Not all white anymore. Even has a baby blue spot on her arm. And eating her vegi's but still can't get her to eat her Green's, got superworm instead of the mealworm for her today. She is getting much fatter which is good. I have learned lot from this site, going to get rid of the calcium sand tomorrow. :banghead: And get tile. I did trim her toenails as the were curling under her foot. going into all of them. Did it while she was in the bathtub did feel a thing lol. So she is moving much better :D Think she wasn't well taken care of. But she has a great home now. I have falling in love with a lizard :D She is so sweet. Can anyone tell my what type of breadie she is or how old she might be or if lizzy is a ziggy. I know a vet would tell but not sure if we have a reptile one around here. Thank's in advance. Have a great night everyone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom