Newbie Bearded Dragon Keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcitrol

Hello,
My fiance and I are new to this We recently bought a 55 gallon tank and would like a bearded dragon.
We are in the process of getting everything we need for the upkeeping we are just a little stumped with the lighting and other essentials.
Here is what we are thinking UVB - Reptisun 10.0 and a 100 watt halogen flood light thats about all we have covered.
We live in New York and of course it gets pretty cold at night in our house so thinking about what would be best for the night time.

Any help would be great :D

Probe7899

Hi I'm also from NY(Long Island) make sure have a hide a climbing branch I use newspaper as a substrate as far as UVB reptisun 10.0 is good don't forget calcium powder to dust insects and vegetables.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
For night time, if it's cool many people use ceramic heat emitters - they work in a dome fixture and sort of like a lightbulb with no light. Another option (for a larger size enclosure) is a radiant heat panel on a thermostat - same concept but they heat a larger area.

I would recommend the T5 type lighting for UVB as the most versatile and easy to setup. Alternatly a good MVB or metal halide bulb would work, and have the benefit of UVA (visible to reptiles) that is generally low in other lights.

Most furniture you can buy or improvise. I've used tiles stacked on bricks for hides/basking platforms, branches for climbing, catfood bowls for water/salad etc.

Tile or paper towel make a good starting substrate, it's easy to clean and user friendly.

As mentioned vitamin and mineral powders for the insects, as well as a cage for them.

xcitrol

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.
Does anyone recommend a certain 100 watt heat light and which dome fixture for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom