New

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm new to this I don't have any supplies or anything I wanted to research them...iv done it befor. So I was wondering some things I'll make a list
•Wat size tank for two beardys
•Wat will I need
•Is getting them by mail ok
•When is matting season
•Wats to two best pair to house...male, male and so on
And if there is anything else I should know just tell me thx alot guys

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
It's not recommended for 2 dragons to be housed together at all. Too often they can seem fine, you come home one day and one or both are injured or worse, dead from fighting. Then there's the worry if you get a male and female and house together, over breeding will happen causing the female to be stressed, sickly or again she could die. Never put 2 males together for same reason as first tho it would be pretty much not if but when they fight that one will be extremely injured or die.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
~ Don't house 2 bearded dragons together. The only friend they need is you :wink: A 40 gallon breeder is the minimum. A 48x21x21 is the recommended size I think. Of course bigger never really hurts.

~ Search this forum for what you need. A ton of great information. I'll give you a quick overview. A enclouser, Source of UVB, A source of heat, non-particle substrate, Domes and a hood if you choose to get a UVB tube, dishes for food, supplements, fresh greens and insects, digital probe or a temp gun to measure your temps, and well of course a bearded dragon. Now that you sort of know what you need I suggest learning everything you possibly can about those items. The more you know the better off you will be.

~ Getting them by mail is fine. In fact you can get better beaded dragons by breeders directly then what you would get at a petstore.

~ Mating season is generally early spring when they start to get really active from being sort of sluggish through out the winter. They will breed when not in season though. However I don't suggest breeding because it is a lot more overwhelming then it might seem. Please get many years of experience with beardies before you even think about breeding. It really is a hobby not a money making scheme.

~ Bearded dragons are solitary creatures. Like I said before the only friend they need is you :wink: You can have more then one bearded dragon if you want but that only means you will need two of everything. Which will burn a mighty hole in your wallet.

Please take your time to browse this forum and take advantage of the search bar in the upper right hand corner. Becasue you want to do research before you get your dragons gives you awesome potential to be a great bearded dragon slave! I hope to see you join the ranks as a beardie slave in the near future!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Sk8indragon":f628e said:
Hey guys I'm new to this I don't have any supplies or anything I wanted to research them...iv done it befor. So I was wondering some things I'll make a list
•Wat size tank for two beardys
•Wat will I need
•Is getting them by mail ok
•When is matting season
•Wats to two best pair to house...male, male and so on
And if there is anything else I should know just tell me thx alot guys

For _one_ adult bearded dragon you'll need a tank with 6-8 square feet of floor space and 18 inches in width - this works out to a 75g tank (4 ft long x 18 inches wide) or larger. If you decide to try housing two dragons together (not recommended but some have done it) you'll need something larger than that so you can provide multiple basking and feeding spots in order to reduce competition and stress between the animals. For two, I'd say nothing smaller than 6 ft long x 18 inches wide.

As mentioned above, housing dragons together isn't generally recommended here. If you put two males together they will eventually fight and can even kill each other because they are territorial. Housing a male and female together isn't a good idea because a male will be ready and willing to mate as early as 6 months old which is far too early for it to be safe to breed the female (females shouldn't be bred until 18 months old). Plus you run the risk of him harassing and over breeding her - they dont' really take no for an answer, and this can cause physical harm to your female as well as drastically reduce her lifespan. Most good breeders house their males and females separately, only bringing them together for the actual act of mating. Sometimes two females who are the same size and laid back can live together. This is not a sure thing though, and many of us have tried only to have to separate them because one female became dominant and was either harassing their cage mate or blocking them from getting the food and light that they needed. It's safest and easiest to house each dragon on their own, but if after doing a lot of research you still decide to try two, go with two females.

For each tank you will need a substrate (solid is best: paper towels, nonadhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet or textured ceramic or slate tiles; adults can use sifted children's playsand or bed-a-beast; avoid calcium sand, vitamin sand, and crushed walnuts because these are all dangerous), a heat light and a UVB light. For a heat light you can use a regular lightbulb or a halogen flood light - you don't need to pay more for a petstore heat bulb. You just need somethign that puts out bright clear (not red) light and enough heat to get your temperatures up where they should be (100-110*F basking spot, 80*F cool side). For the UVB bulb you have two options: a flourescent tube bulb (reptisun 10.0 is the best, stay away from the reptiGLO 10.0) or a mercury vapor bulb (heat and UVB in one; the good ones are the megarays http://www.reptileuv.com and the t-rex active heat flood bulb). Stay away from teh "compact" or coil UVB bulbs because these have been known to cause eye problems and burn out prematurely. You'll also need one or two digital theremometers with probes to accurately track the temperatures in the tank - the stick on strips or dials they sell in many petstores can be inaccurate and good temperatures are vital to a healthy dragon.

You're also going to need a lot of live food, especially if you start off with a baby. Baby dragons can eat anywhere from 25-100 crickets a day as they grow, so you're best off to order in bulk online. You'll also need fresh greens (collard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, turnip greens and mustard greens are all good options; avoid iceburg and romaine lettuce) and veggies for a daily salad. As well, you'll need calcium and vitamin supplements. Repcal phosphorus free calcium with D3 and Repcal Herptivite are two good ones to have.

Having a dragon shipped to you is just fine as long as you're dealing with a reputable breeder who has experience shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom