New young baby beardo wont bask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi im a new bearded dragon owner and cant seem to understand why my baby bearded dragon wont bask and stays in the cooler side of the vivarium? I bought my baby on friday who is probably only a few weeks old as she in tiny! And i bought the exo terra glass vivarium where its taller rather than wider as the pet shop lady said they loved to climb. On the right side there is the lamp and the temp is around 90 degrees as the people insisted it should be and the uv light is placed vertically down the left side of the vivarium. Also the log is 10 inches away from the lamp and postioned in a way she can climb easily, so can anyone explain why shes not basking? also the small crickets ( which again were given by the pet shop) she keeps throwing up:( so please help as im a newbee to this and i thought i had it all set up right?:{

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your baby beardie. She sounds very small, she probably shouldn't have been sold so young as it is a big change for them to try to deal with a new viv, etc.

She probably is throwing up because she isn't basking and isn't digesting her crickets. Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using and where exactly you're checking the temps? Accurate temps are extremely important so we want to be able to help you get that straightened out asap.

What brand & type of UVB do you have? When you said it was placed vertically down the left side, did you mean that it isn't mounted but just standing upright instead?

Original Poster
Thank you, yeah shes absolutely tiny! aw the pet shop said she was 3 months but I really dont think so?
I bought one of those thermosats that regulate the temperature depending on what temp i set it at. The man in the shop recommended it would be at 85 degrees but after doing more research I turned it up to 90 degrees. Theres a exo terra thermometer placed on the other side of the vivarium from the light - the "cool end" and currently reads 82 degrees. It is however placed near the top because the person before who had this has placed it there. But it can be put somewhere else if needed.
Im using reptiglo 10.0 Uv light tube. And Its being held up vertically using sucker hook things?
Below is a link of a picture of what the vivarium looks like as i dont know how to images up on here..

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y6ifDNU1Tgo/UhsGAI1mLuI/AAAAAAAAACI/971T_-5csOE/w583-h777-no/20130826_081718.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Any idea what her length is from nose to tip of tail? I doubt she's 3 mo old but since some pet stores don't use UVB or not good ones, that can affect their growth rate. Also, they don't tend to feed them enough protein to keep them smaller. :(

I'm not sure what type of thermostat you're using. Do you think you'd be able to find a picture in google images or post a link so we can see exactly what you mean? Temps are extremely important so want to make sure that you're getting good readings.

A baby should have a basking temp of 110 (but no higher). Most of us use a thermometer with a long wire & probe end to get the basking reading, you place the probe right on the basking log or rock and wait 45 min to an hr for the temp to stop rising before getting the final reading. Then you place the probe end way over on the bottom of the cool side and again wait the required time to get a reading there. Sounds like you have a stick-on round gauge (dial) on the cool side, those are very inaccurate and can be off as much as 20 degrees or more. An infrared temperature gun is also an accurate way to measure temps by holding the gun 2" from the area you're checking.

Unfortunately, the Repti-GLO UVB's have caused all sorts of health issues and if a beardie doesn't like the light or it makes them uncomfortable, they will avoid basking. They can cause serious eye issues and even damage to their eyes, lethargy, loss of appetite, avoiding basking to get away from it which can cause problems digesting which in turn can cause impaction. I looked at the picture that you posted showing the similar way you have yours. I highly suspect your beardie is avoiding it as it shines right directly in her eyes which is NOT good and there is no way to avoid it so she is hiding instead. A fluorescent UVB should be mounted overhead instead and the bright white basking bulb helps prevent any eye damage when the UVB is behind the basking bulb. Those 2 bulbs need to be right alongside each other.

I suggest you replace the UVB with the Repti-SUN 10.0 fluorescent tube as soon as you can and also mount it from above instead. That way, your beardie can also get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time. The distance of the Repti-Sun UVB tube to your beardie while in the basking spot, should be 6 to 8".

Since a good UVB and calcium work together to help synthesize the right amount of calcium in their bodies, make sure you dust with calcium with D3 for 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day.

Would be a good idea to make sure your baby is kept well hydrated by giving a bath at least every other day because if a baby gets dehydrated, they can go downhill VERY quickly. A 15 to 20 min bath is very beneficial.

It's also important to not use a loose substrate, non-adhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet, slate tiles, or paper towels are all safe things to use on the bottom of a baby beardies tank.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, please let us know.

Original Poster
She's a little over 11cm, aw I didn't know that can affect their length:(
Below is a link to a google image, but if you cant get it then type into google 'living earth habistat dimming thermostat' and it should come up. Basically its a very expensive sensor which is placed by the basking area and you set the it to a certain temperature, and throughout the day it maintains that temperature by dimming the lamp or brightening it. However the highest it goes is 92 degrees? :?

https://plus.google.com/photos/112254372236027403226/albums/5916012910673613777/5916724186081787138?pid=5916724186081787138&oid=112254372236027403226

Ill look into using one of them but why would they sell a thermostat which only goes to 92 degrees when its meant to be 110?

Oh well Im getting money thursday so I'll definitely go out and get a reptisun UV light because i have heard about reptiglo but again, the pet shop people recommended it! I always thought about putting the UV light above but the pet shop man again said because of the vivarium im using it should be placed vertically so she gets all the UV light, however I will change it tonight to see if it is because of that. So do you mean where the basking lamp is, put the tube light behind so that the length part almost touches the back of the vivarium or have it rotated, if that makes sense?
Okay ill add some slate of rock to make the log stand higher.
Yep she's finally eating like a machine now so Im happy! :']
Alright sounds good, i heard powerade added to the bath can help their skin?
yeah we bought her reptile carpet so thats sorted:} thank you for all this help by the way! :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, guess she IS tiny at less than 5".

That's odd that the dimming thermostat only goes as high as 92 degrees. A beardie needs a minimum of 95 degrees in order to be able to digest but a baby needs and likes it much warmer, up to 110. Wonder what type of habistat that thermostat was set up for?

What are the dimensions of the tank and what wattage heat bulb(s) are you using? That will help give us a better idea to figure out if the temps might be over 92 or if the 92 reading is correct. With the sensor placed BY the basking area, you're not getting the actual basking temp though.

Unfortunately, most of us here have gotten some bad advice from pet store employees, me being one of them many yrs ago before I found this forum. We are here to help you get everything perfect for your baby beardie.

Here's a picture of how the UVB should be placed if put on top of the screen.
971603_10200417435859803_883867752_n_by_angelthundergrl-d6haeot.jpg

In this picture, the basking light could actually be slid to the right a little bit. Looks like the basking area is the hide.

It's actually best (and you do have enough height) to put the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube inside the tank at a distance of 6 to 8" from your beardie while in the basking spot.

Glad to hear that you are using reptile carpeting and that she's "eating like a machine." How many crickets does she eat daily?

Since a good UVB and calcium work together to help synthesize the right amount of calcium in their bodies, make sure you dust with calcium with D3 for 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day.

Hope this helps clarify things for you, if not, let me know.

Original Poster
Yeah the only pet shop near me that has ones so small!
Well the man in the shop said to only set it to 85 degrees so I thought the thermostat covered that but I guess not :? On the package it does say it can be used in wooden vivariums for reptiles?

The dimensions are 18x18x24, I know its small but when she gets bigger I will buy a bigger one because i know they need a lot of space when they grow. And Im using a 60 watt bulb for the basing lamp.

Yeah its so confusing! I get different opinions literally everywhere I go and ask!

Okay ive placed the UV light sideways in the tank near the lamp, but because the tube light is longer, Ive placed it diagonally so hope thats alright?

It weird because yesterday and the day before she ate about 6 crickets each day dusted with calcium, and today she just looked at her food ready to pounce but she just stayed hidden in the plant?

Yep got the calcium and vitamins so thats okay :)

Also today she did something really weird, she basically was swallowing then opened her mouth almost like she was going to be sick - and this happened when I put a cricket in there, then she ran for the plant as soon as I put down to go eat? wondering if this is normal?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know of any reptile that would only need a basking temp of 92 degrees. The 60 watt bulb should be ok, it's hard to say for sure though. How is she doing with basking now?

If you could post a picture of the UVB light in the tank it would be helpful.

Are you making sure that the size of the crickets are no larger than the space between her eyes? What size crickets are you using?

Original Poster
She actually seems to be basking okay today! Although she sits a bit off where the lamp light is hitting but shes not been sick at all! i bought smaller crickets today and she went mad for them, ate about 7! and ill post a pic tomorrow of the light tomorrow cause its late in england at the moment :)
Also she seems to be shedding so wondering if thats a cause of her hiding in the plant?

20130829_161802.jpg

Tell that diddly store keeper that BDs like more floor space than air space. They are not huge climbers like many other lizards. They like a longer wider viv than a taller one.

Also, you are feeding her 2 times a day, aren't you? Make sure she has her lights on for an hour before feeding and an hour after and also have lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours so she can get her sleep. So many things to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom