New viv info please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

churchy

Hello,

Im new and would like some information regarding the viv.

Im looking to get 2-3 beard Dragons "3 females" so i have done plently of digging on the internet and purchased 2 books that im reading before bed.

I am interested in two vivs these are Vivexotics AX36 or the Vivexotics AX48, firstly what do you think to them and is there anything better suited for 2-3 dragons.

These will be my first lizards and looking forward to have them. Thanks alot.
Any information will be extremely helpful.
:blob5:

Links - AX36 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Vivexotic-AX36-Tall-Reptile-Vivarium-Beech-/250711172509?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3a5f8ce59d

Ax48 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Vivexotic-AX48-Tall-Reptile-Vivarium-Walnut-/260679300149?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3cb1b27435

I have never bought a tank from a shop, I always get my tanks hand made, tailor made to my and the Dragons specific needs. I found it was cheaper than buying from a tank supplier, maybe enquiring a local joiner would be another option?

Don't get me wrong, these tanks will be just fine... If money is not an issure :)

churchy

Original Poster
Money is not an issue TBH.

Is the size correct, which one would be better or is there a different Viv out there that owners prefer. Thanks

I would not recommend a high tank for beardies as they like to bask, with the light being at one end, an them not being the biggest of climbers... With a tank like this you will not get a proper thermalgradient. Maybe a 4ft Long by 2ft high would be a better option.

churchy

Original Poster
JaysDragons":jegyfpoj said:
I would not recommend a high tank for beardies as they like to bask, with the light being at one end, an them not being the biggest of climbers... With a tank like this you will not get a proper thermalgradient. Maybe a 4ft Long by 2ft high would be a better option.

Ok i understand where your coming from there. So something like this would be better http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vivexotic-VX48-4ft-Reptile-Vivarium-Cabinet-Beech-/260729256835?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3cb4acbb83

My understanding would be i require a heat light which is UVB and then a ceramic heat light on a thermosat. this would be located on the left for instance. My beardies would need to be less than 150mm away from the light for bask. The other end off the tank would be the cooler side with areas for climbing, resting, drinking, eating all lined with a ceramic tile floor rather than the calci-sand.

Any extra info...

Im new :banghead:

Jess

Extreme Poster
Yup, that viv looks awesome. :)

Instead of a CHE for the basking light, use a bright white light bulb- They need another light source to look at so the UVB light won't damage their eyes. They should be about 8 inches away from the UVB light (IDK if that's the same as 150mm? Sorry, LOL). Tile floor is great.

Keep in mind that bearded dragons can NOT be housed togoether though. If you want 2 - 3 dragons, you'll need 2 - 3 cages. :wink:

churchy

Original Poster
Oh i didnt know that from what i understand you can keep 2 females in one Viv. I always thought you couldnt keep more than one male in the same cage but could keep say 1 man and two females or just two females in the same cage. :blob8:

Jess

Extreme Poster
There are people who house female/female and male/female pairs, but I really would NOT recommend doing it. Beardies are not naturally social animals, and they do not see cage mates as "friends"- They are competition for survival. So the strongest beardie of the group or pair will out-compete the weaker beardies for the most food, hottest basking spot, ect., and a lot of times attack, kill, or even eat the smaller/weaker beardie. It just ends up being a stressful situation for all beardies involved, and they will be MUCH happier seperate.

BTW, my beardie was housed with a female before I adopted him. He is missing part of his tail, and she is missing half of her tail and one of her feet because of being housed together. My male was obviously the dominant beardie of the 2, because he is twice the size or her and much fatter.

churchy

Original Poster
Jess4921":3vca1b3r said:
There are people who house female/female and male/female pairs, but I really would NOT recommend doing it. Beardies are not naturally social animals, and they do not see cage mates as "friends"- They are competition for survival. So the strongest beardie of the group or pair will out-compete the weaker beardies for the most food, hottest basking spot, ect., and a lot of times attack, kill, or even eat the smaller/weaker beardie. It just ends up being a stressful situation for all beardies involved, and they will be MUCH happier seperate.

BTW, my beardie was housed with a female before I adopted him. He is missing part of his tail, and she is missing half of her tail and one of her feet because of being housed together. My male was obviously the dominant beardie of the 2, because he is twice the size or her and much fatter.

ok thanks for your information i will only have the one as it seems they will be happier seperate. Now should i get a male or female if im only getting one... :lol:

churchy

Original Poster
JaysDragons":2vnyrycu said:
That viv is ace, very similar to one of my own :)

Ive had a look at your website and wanted to know why your dragons are 125-250 pounds but are 35-50 in pets at home and pet stores. Whats the difference.
Thanks alot.. "im new" :banghead:

Pets at Home and Normal Petshops sell standard dragons. We breed Translucents, Fire & Ice, Hypos, Leatherbacks... We do not produce standard dragons, if we did they would be priced between £30 - £40 :)

You are paying the extra money for a proven bearded dragon colour morph - complete with certificate.

churchy

Original Poster
JaysDragons":1351vwy2 said:
Pets at Home and Normal Petshops sell standard dragons. We breed Translucents, Fire & Ice, Hypos, Leatherbacks... We do not produce standard dragons, if we did they would be priced between £30 - £40 :)

You are paying the extra money for a proven bearded dragon colour morph - complete with certificate.

Ok so its like pedgree Bearded Dragon. I like the Fire and Ice but was wondering how far they can travel before they get home.

churchy":3qyxn25w said:
JaysDragons":3qyxn25w said:

Ok so its like pedgree Bearded Dragon. I like the Fire and Ice but was wondering how far they can travel before they get home.

We have shipped Beardies as far as Europe without any problems :) Fire & Ice Dragons are great, the colouration of red, to orange & yellow. All our Fire & Ice lines are 100% Fire & Ice :)

I am personally falling in love with Leatherbacks & Silkbacks, purely from a bredding point of view they are amazingly interesting.

churchy

Original Poster
JaysDragons":23b8zm4m said:
churchy":23b8zm4m said:
JaysDragons":23b8zm4m said:

We have shipped Beardies as far as Europe without any problems :) Fire & Ice Dragons are great, the colouration of red, to orange & yellow. All our Fire & Ice lines are 100% Fire & Ice :)

I am personally falling in love with Leatherbacks & Silkbacks, purely from a bredding point of view they are amazingly interesting.

Thats brilliant i wanted to hear that, you would beable to deliever to Norfolk UK no prob's. Ill have a look on your website and make up my mind. What are the shipping conditions and prices. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom