New viv for MVB, recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
I did use the search function, but couldn't find much help... We are looking into a new viv for Nero.

Can the "critter condo"/crossfire type of viv accommodate an MVB (by this I mean a totally enclosed viv except for the front door)? I like the look of them, but it seems like there might not be enough ventilation despite the vents in the back, but I'm not sure. It also seems like that type of viv would be awfully bright or hard on the eyes. Our 100W T-Rex is on a Zoo Med adjustable lamp stand, and his current viv (40 gal) has a sliding mesh top, although we don't use it, and the bulb is newish (bought in May)... I'd like to keep on using it as long as the new viv has the height, of course. I know there's a minimum distance for MVBs.

Unfortunately, making our own viv is not an option. Neither my husband or I is handy at all and we have no access to a wood shop or anything like that. Any recommendations you have for a good company to purchase from would be wonderful. I have checked quite a few websites.. .glasscages.com, customcages.com, cagesbydesign.com, VK Reptile Condos, etc., but would prefer to hear from people who've actually used them. Sliding glass front doors would be nice but it's not vital... but can the T-Rex MVB UVB and light can get through mesh? I have checked Craigslist regularly but am coming up short constantly... no one in our area is giving away vivs, it seems. Thanks for any reply!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Critter Condo's will handle a 100w T-Rex MVB just fine, especially if they are the 4' long version. You might run into heat issues if you use secondary basking bulbs, but a critter condo should be able to accomodate a 100w MVB and a seperate fluorescent fixture without issue.

UVB will penetrate mesh, but will be reduced in intensity slightly. The same goes for light.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thanks! I was going to ask if the "basking" fixture in a critter condo type of viv would be rated appropriately to handle an MVB, but I suppose that's for the company to answer.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Last I heard, the basking fixture was simply a porcelain skrew in light socket...so it should handle a MVB just fine. That said, they could have changed that recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom