New user (and beardie!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

annamaureen

Original Poster
Yes, it's working correctly - I had it sitting on the counter for about an hour while I was redoing the tank, and it read the same temperature as my home thermostat does. I keep my aparment around 68-72*.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am so confused. I have never and I mean never heard of this...wow is all I can say. Do you know what type/brand of bulb it is?Now I am just asking out of curiosity..lol.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, a 200 watt bulb in a 40 breeder? I am quite shocked by this too. Does your beardie spend much time in the basking area since you moved to the 200 watt bulb? Could you post another picture of the setup since you made the changes?

annamaureen

Original Poster
It's a GE, just a basic household light. I'm sorry, I don't mean to baffle anybody! Maybe something weird is going on that I, in my inexperience, don't realize...? As I said earlier, I tried a 100 watt and it only got the basking temps into the low nineties.

Sorry for the mediocre quality, it's a camera photo. And even though he's hiding right now, he does bask. The temp there is about 104*. (And the reason you can't see the thermometer is because I took it out - I'm testing it a second time because now I'm paranoid! :shock: )

who5l2.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am sorry I am really not trying to make you paranoid,anything is possible but like I said just totally baffled.Ok stupid question but you do have the therm on F(faranheit) and not C(celcius) right?

annamaureen

Original Poster
I'm just paranoid because I want to do everything right; you guys are being really nice and helpful! :) And yes, it's in Fahrenheit.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok just checking as you never know it has happened before although if it was on C your problems would be alot more apparent...lol.
Well I suppose as long as your leaving the probe directly on the basking surface for at least 45 minutes and the cool side doesn't go past 80F then there is not much else to do.I wonder though do you know what type of rocks those are? I am thinking if it isnt the bulb and it isnt the therm then it has to be the surface but even if thats the case it matters not since you are getting the right temps even if the crazy moderator says it just isnt possible :wink:

annamaureen

Original Poster
I got them from Home Depot, they were just labeled as "flagstones." I don't know if that's an actual kind of stone. But I'm googling because I want to solve the mystery!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
LOL dont go nuts as long as all of the temps are good but yes it does matter sometimes what the surface actually is but now at least I can keep this one in the memory bank should I come across it again :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm actually using a 75 watt lightbulb like this first one
Philips%20Incandescent%20A-19%20Light%20Bulb.gif
in the same sized tank with the basking area farther away and get a basking temp on the hollowed out log of about 104. A spot lamp would be WAY too hot for me.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know, it's got us all puzzled. :? annamaureen, how's your beardie acting today? Is he basking under his light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom